Hi-hats and 808

C

Crix

Hi guys. I got a problem with closed hi hats and 808. When they play together, it sound like hi hats are making a hole in my bass lol I tried with different hi hats samples but nothing happens. It sounds dumb but it's really annoying. Any ideas how to fix it?

Do you have all the drums heavily compressed together? If you have a limiter/compressor cranked down on the master it could do that as well.

I don't compress anything. Could that be fruity limiter on master channel?

the default project settings in fl will get you every time

remove the master buss limiter and save that as your default project settings

Thanks i'll remove it right away:) didn't think that it will mess up everything :D

yeah never had a limiter on the master when mixing or creating your instrumental..

I'm a beginner as well and literally know nothing about music and everything. I'm just lurking here, reading questions and answers, but I'm curious why we should turn off the limiter while composing?

the limiter will kick in at its threshold making you think things are disappearing as you add more and more tracks; i.e. it will make you do things that you do not need to do at all and leae you wondering why there is so little change in "energy" in the track

limiters/compressors limit volume that goes beyond a certain point regardless where they at unless you use one of those multiband versions I think.

how do they affect each other when their frequencies are on 2 different sides of the spectrum???

kkk has already answered directly: a limiter is switched on by any signal that exceeds its threshold, whether it be low frequency or high frequency or mid frequency energy: so if the hats exceed the threshol,d the limiter switches on making both them and the kick and bass and everything else going through the master buss limiter lower in signal, same happens if the kick or a synth or a vocal line exceeds the limiter's threshold: it will turn on and automatically lower all signals by the same amount

Back