Hey, so I'm trying the forum thing.

Rift

Hey guys. I'm new, and this is my first music production forum. Figured it was about time I tried one of these out.

My name's Rachel, or Rift, although I'm still not sure about the moniker. I'm a 23 year old new producer out of Evansville in southwest Indiana. I enjoy a plethora of genres, especially things heavily influenced by jazz, but lately seem to naturally gravitate towards downtempo music. I'm down for a lot of stuff, though, and if it's instrumental, I'll probably find something to like about it.

After drumming through school during which I had a few friends who were aspiring rappers, I developed a love for creating beats on FL Studio, mostly because I wanted to participate but didn't rap. Melodically the beats were terrible, but I had a lot of fun with it and learned a good bit during my occasional sessions before I unfortunately lost my computer in a move. I subsequently forgot about music for a couple of years. Later in 2015, I decided to revisit my old pastime, but in Ableton, and an amazing new world opened up.

I've had ups and downs in productivity, especially over this past year which has been intensely eventful in my non-music life. After another recent move, I'm now back in a little home studio space and in my element. I'm ready to start churning out music again, but I feel like I'm on a plateau, which is in large part why I've joined the forum. I'm at a point where I know I've only scratched the surface of my program's potential, but I'm not really sure what's next now that I'm starting to feel comfortable with a lot of the basic features. On top of that, musician friends have been constantly reminding me that I haven't played a show yet, and I'm just like 'but how do I even do that?' So, time to quit screwing around blindly doing the same stuff over and over and actually do some productive digging and brain-picking.

I'm looking forward to pulling what knowledge I can from the collective experience on this forum. I'm also really stoked to hear some sick beats. :-) Feel free to introduce yourself and maybe drop some advice for a new producer, any helpful reads that might not already be clearly listed here for me, or just share your music.

Last edited:
Hell yeah! Nice to meet you. Information wise, the forum is really helpful. You can learn a lot just by digging through the conversations, ...and now that you're posting, you can meet some cool people too! There are good opportunities started and built around here. It's good to have you. ^.^

See you around!

Welcome to FP. This is definitely a good brain-picking place.

And regarding live shows...don't know if that's any kind of priority or even a thing that "has to be done". I've played and continue to play a lot of shows with different bands, but never with just my own stuff and doubt I ever will (although you never know). But there are definitely lots of people who are very much content to remain in the comfort of the studio, and I don't see anything wrong with that, especially if you're still finding your way. That said, it *is* a good way to evolve as a musician - there's no hiding behind "oh it's not really mixed" or "well this is still a work-in-progress" when you're playing a show, and the audience's reactions (or lack of them) are very telling in regards to what works and what doesn't.

Nice to meet you all!

OGBama, likewise.

Cicciosound, I played all throughout the time I was in middle and high school, quit playing for a bit, and have since taken about a year worth of lessons on my own. I was briefly in a group that disbanded a couple months back (we never uploaded anything or played a single show) and now I've been jamming with randoms here and there. So, how good am I? I have no idea, but that's my experience. Also, I play mostly rock. Would like to get more into psych-rock. Would love to explore jazz more. I'm getting a conga/bongo set here in a couple of weeks so I can break into latin percussion.

Krushing, this is reassuring. I've watched other electronic producers who have made their start after me sort of "pass me up" and start playing shows, and it's been frustrating because it feels like the "correct" next step. No path is the same, though. I think what's holding me back the most is that I've been part of the audience for so long, I don't want to be another person with their face stuck in their macbook. I want to have organic live instruments and a pedal-board and loop different things, and somehow incorporate what I've already been doing with my beats to make it one whole cohesive thing that might be more interesting to watch. Maybe a launchpad would be good.

I'm happy to just be in the studio for now. I feel like it's only one element of what I need to do, though. I want to evolve, like you said.

Last edited:
Yeah, I guess everybody wants to evolve :) I just think there are multiple paths towards that, and live playing is just one. And frankly, it can also be frustrating for reasons that have little to do with you. Sometimes you take up gigs that people just don't come to; sometimes you play in a noisy bar where people are more interested in their beers than your carefully crafted lyrics and musicianship and between-songs jokes; sometimes the sound guy is disinterested in making it work or simply doesn't know how to mix your stuff; sometimes the soundcheck was fine but you can't hear a thing during the actual gig; sometimes technology fails you in various unexpected ways and so on. And of course sometimes it all comes together, people go crazy and there's nothing better nor like it in the world.

Hi, i'm new as well. I'm 37 male from Boston, MA, using FL Studio 12.4.2 with a Novation Launchkey 49, and make Triphop, R&B, Funk, And EDM (Dance/Rave).

I have been creating,mixing and producing since 2001, when i Graduated Richard Inferrera's Team Of Professionals (R.I.T.O.P.) Mobile Electronics Installation School (World Renown, 8-week intensive training).

But enough about me, am looking through these forums to find a vocalist for the genres i am into.

My 5th post is probably coming up, so i will link you to my SoundCloud after that, again, nice to meet you all! ;)

Back