Hey, new here! Can anyone help me out.

I didn't see a section to post general production questions so I figured I'd ask here. First off let me say I don't have rhythm so Im not sure if that's a problem, but Ive been trying for a while and cant make snares stutter likes they do in this song(Wiz Khalifa -Jim Brown) <--Sorry they wouldn't let me posts any links yet. I use Logic Pro X, every time I try it just quantizes it and makes it sound completely different. I cant figure it out at all and I'd appreciate anyone that can help out thanks.

4/4 Time Signature - Tempo 71.5

The snares hit on the 2nd, 5th, 10th, and 13th steps.

What grid resolution are you quantizing to? Set it to 1/4 beat.

Hey, just tried that method. It didnt really help me out any, it still quantizes it to a completely different pattern. You have any more pointers?

Try dotted or Triplets, I'd didn't actually listen to that song so I'm just guessing. I will later though

Sounds to me like you should actually raise the tempo to somewhere around 130, and I would put the snare on the 3rd of each bar. That's how I would do if I'd make some hip-hopy type of beat. You shouldn't have too much problem replicating that "stutter" effect, if you'd just take the snap off your grid and fiddle around until it sounds about right.

EDIT;

So I actually tried this now and it works.

130bpm (ish), set the snare to hit at the 3rd measure, use 16ths triplet to quantize the hits of your snare to get that "stutter"

Last edited:

depending on how you consider the tempo (fast or slow) the grid looks like this (starting at 0:17)

Fast1-&-2-&-3-&-4-&-
OR
Slow123456223456323456423456
hatsXX
snareXXX
kickXX
hatsXX
snareXXX
kickXXX
hatsXX
snareXXXX
kickXX