Help! Where do we start??

Craig Mallow

I have a 12 year old boy who wants to start recording music (Dubstep) and potentially DJing. Currently we don't have any prior experience, software or hardware related to this hobby. So, I need help figuring out where to start. I am looking at "MPD18 Compact Pad Controller" and the "MPK MINI MKII 25-Key Ultra-Portable USB MIDI Keyboard and Pad Controller with Joystick". Which type of system would you suggest for a youngster with no prior experience or software? Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated!

The hardware you mentioned will work fine. Then your going to need audio interface, you can get a used Fast Track Pro for like $79.

Then for sounds, (my opinion only) I would scoop up Nexus with their dubstep expansions. He'll be good to go.

For a DAW, go with Reaper its free, and it's pro quality.

Thanks for the tips! I ended up ordering the "Keyboard and Pad Controller" instead of just the "pad controller" so that he has the ability to create melodies if needed. I looked at your links. The Reaper looks cool, but I'm a little confused about Nexus and the Expansion. Is that stand alone software? Is it freeware??

The hardware you mentioned will work fine. Then your going to need audio interface, you can get a used Fast Track Pro for like $79.

Then for sounds, (my opinion only) I would scoop up Nexus with their dubstep expansions. He'll be good to go.

For a DAW, go with Reaper its free, and it's pro quality.

Thanks for the tips! I ended up ordering the "Keyboard and Pad Controller" instead of just the "pad controller" so that he has the ability to create melodies if needed. I looked at your links. The Reaper looks cool, but I'm a little confused about Nexus and the Expansion. Is that stand alone software? Is it freeware??

Nexis is a sound plugin for Reaper, which will be your son's Digital Audio Workstation (DAW). Essentially, if you get Nexus with it's dubstep expansions he will have the medium with which to mess with sounds already tailored for creating dubstep tracks. Through the plugin, he can also play melodies out on his keyboard. Hope this helps.

Nexus is certainly not free. It'll cost you more than the controller, interface and DAW combined. Personally I think it's better to start early by learning how to make the sounds you want, rather than to resort to big preset packs like Nexus.

Id say get him FL Studio as a DAW it comes with free lifetime software updates and the stock Virtual Instruments are enough to get anyone started, and piano lessons having a base in music theory will go a long way. this is not a cheap hobby. and Nexus is a money pit IMO.

Last edited:
Back