Help :u

anuj

Hi folks so this summer i am building my workstation for music production & maybe a bit basic video editing i am familiar with ableton & fl studio.
In my gears i have a launchpad pro, old yamaha piano, 2i4 2nd gen audio interface & blue spark mic
I occasionally play cs go or random games no hardcore gaming
Musically speaking i'm not a Pro & have no gigs at the moment i'm on a intermediate level & working as an individual
I am on a decent budget upto 1000 dollars prices vary a lot in my country
So i am confused with plenty of research on specs & mixed up a lot of stuff & can't come to a decision So please help me out :) thanks in advance :) & correct me if i'm wrong :)

What's the trick :- ( laptop vs pc)

As i was a laptop user i really like the features of portability, accessibility, wifi, bluetooth & stuff and going back to desktop will kill my comfort zone but it doesn't matter i want the best i'm looking for future proof system for 5-6 years at least cuz back in time i was slammed by obsolete tech a lot .

For a fact i know DAW's will have the same requirements over years & years it's not like gaming where you have to upgrade time to time so what i think that getting a decent or recommended purpose processor & investing less in it & more in ssd like 500 gb (230 $) & 16gb ram (147 $) will do the trick for me ?? or vice- versa

Which makes me wanna go for a laptop i think laptop processor will serve it's purpose & ssd /ram will overcome in performance ?? but performance wise pc wins ?? i don't want to pay for something extra which i won't use or won't help so please help me out with this one :(

Me vs Pc CPU - AMD or INTEL- K series/non K series, Overclocking , Hyperthreading (correct me if i'm wrong )

For ableton single core performance matters most & more cores don't matter so i think AMD is not effective & feasible ???
In intel quad or hyperthreading is what i can get (i5 and i7 6th or 7th generation)

I don't get the deal with k and non k like is overclocking important as per my use which is primarily music production cuz honestly i don't know a thing about it & heard that it's good for boost like in gaming which is not my main concern so is it worth it ?? cuz it also adds extra cost for fan & z board & same for hyperthreading like does it help if i go in i7 series

in AMD fx8350 200 dollar & ryzen 1700 385 dollar

In my wishlist i have these processors with price in my region :

I7 7700 - 340 dollar
I5 7600 - 255 dollar
I5 7400 - 194 dollar
I5 7500 - 216 dollar
I5 6600 - 255 dollar

With addition of k few more bucks with few more on other parts

for cpu & mob -

My minimum budget - 310 $
My maximum budget - 460 $

For the hard disk -

My query is can i install ableton in my ssd & windows in hdd will it work good or both os & ableton should be in ssd ???

For the OS -

which will have less/no issues in ableton windows 10/pro, 8/8.1 ???

In the same budget i am going for monitor too :p
That i think dell 221h is fine i am thinking of getting second one maybe used

So is dual monitors are beneficial how ?

As i was a laptop user i really like the features of portability, accessibility, wifi, bluetooth & stuff and going back to desktop will kill my comfort zone but it doesn't matter i want the best i'm looking for future proof system for 5-6 years at least cuz back in time i was slammed by obsolete tech a lot .

For a fact i know DAW's will have the same requirements over years & years it's not like gaming where you have to upgrade time to time so what i think that getting a decent or recommended purpose processor & investing less in it & more in ssd like 500 gb (230 $) & 16gb ram (147 $) will do the trick for me ?? or vice- versa

Which makes me wanna go for a laptop i think laptop processor will serve it's purpose & ssd /ram will overcome in performance ?? but performance wise pc wins ?? i don't want to pay for something extra which i won't use or won't help so please help me out with this one :(

This is a bit of a simplification, but while you can eke out more bang for buck from a desktop, and it's still the go-to choice if performance is all that matters, I think a good laptop will do just fine in a music production setup. You just need to prioritize what's more important to you - being able to work in different places or getting the most out of your money?

My query is can i install ableton in my ssd & windows in hdd will it work good or both os & ableton should be in ssd ???

You probably want to have your applications on the SSD, and probably the main OS components as well. Then have your big sample etc. libraries & work files on the HDD.

So is dual monitors are beneficial how ?

They're nice because you have your main DAW view in the other monitor and, say, a plugin's interface in the other. Ableton allows you to have Session on one and Arrangement on the other, which is also very handy. It's just more space to work with and thus a faster workflow when you don't have to spend time moving windows around.

Music production is less demanding than gaming BY FAR. NOT THE SAME THING AS SCULPTING OR GAMING.
With that being said, Reason/Studio One guy here stating that a good desktop will do both well.

Built one since I wanted to move over to steam as well since I got tired of consoles years back, a good one will let ya play modern titles for years so choose wisely.

Music production is less demanding than gaming BY FAR. NOT THE SAME THING AS SCULPTING OR GAMING.

That statement doesn't mean anything. Gaming is as demanding as you want it to be. Graphics/Physics != gaming. The actual resources used by the game logic of a game is a few percent. The most advanced games in the world are just a small state machine and some stats and triggers...plus a shit load of graphics, sound and physics candy.

Same is true of music production. You could use a 4kb pitch shifted sample or a kontakt patch that uses 500 megs of RAM and 150 gigs of harddrive. A synth patch could be a single dry mono sawtooth or a polyphonic 32 oscillator detuned unison with FX.

In my opinion I think that any setup will get you right as long as your comfortable with it. Its really a question of personal preference. All you have to is put the work in fam. I seen good stuff being produced on old windows xp/ AOL era type pc's lol. True talent always proves itself.

Back