HELP questions about selling beats

wavygrvy

My questions:

-What should i allow artists/rappers to do with a basic mp3 lease? WAV lease and Track out Lease? What are your limitations for these leasing options? Why would a rapper purchase a mp3 lease, wav or track out lease? what would be the purposes basically.

-Do producers only get royalties from artists who purchase exclusive rights beats? or do producers get royalties from mp3, wav lease and track out leases as well?

Last edited:
The Royalities, and everything else, always depending on the Contract / T&C. I think, if u want to u can charge Royalities on Leases.

Definitely should be able to collect royalties / publishing on your beats. Copyright them and submit them to a PRO if you have an affiliation like ASCAP or BMI... if you don't, get one...

This is why it is cheaper to just buy exclusive rights. Why pay for the same beat twice?

How many rappers actually purchase the renewal lease lol you have no idea who has what unless you write down every single sale and make a timeline lol who would actually do that the number limit makes 0 sense to me.

Definitely should be able to collect royalties / publishing on your beats. Copyright them and submit them to a PRO if you have an affiliation like ASCAP or BMI... if you don't, get one...

Yes... I know this.. I'm asking if producers collect royalties only on exclusive rights beats they sell that actually get sent to a PRO after the aritst does it. I can copy right my beats but why would i sent it to a PRO? the finished song gets registered with the PRO..not the beat.. thats why im asking how producers mention in the contract that this needs to be done....

Yes... I know this.. I'm asking if producers collect royalties only on exclusive rights beats they sell that actually get sent to a PRO after the aritst does it. I can copy right my beats but why would i sent it to a PRO? the finished song gets registered with the PRO..not the beat.. thats why im asking how producers mention in the contract that this needs to be done....

Lol sorry think that was weirdly worded. I did mean register the song not the beat. This is a good question that I'm not sure I fully have the answer to. But unless I'm mistaken, each song written to a beat whether licensed or exclusive should be fair game to register with a PRO. You'd just need to have split sheets agreed to and then have that in contract form.

As a registered publisher you don't have to rely on the artist to register a song to a PRO. You can register the work yourself and put down whatever percentage guaranteed by the contract you have. In fact, I've had to do this a few times due to record labels or artists skipping this step for some strange reason. AFAIK the standard leasing contracts don't really go too deep into publishing if at all so you'd probably have to custom bake that into whatever agreement you send people when leasing a beat. Full disclosure, I have yet to lease a beat to someone and have only gone the standard route of production fee, songwriting/publishing %, etc.

Back