Help picking a drum machine

lecrae117

I'm completely new to all of this, so bear with me while I learn. I am picking out a beat machine and am leaning towards Akai Mpk25. I particularly want a beat machine, this one seems affordable and the fact that it has 25 keys doesnt hurt. Before I get this one, I want to confirm that I shouldn't get one with more keys. I also have a Yamaha P-35b. It has 88 keys, but limited choices when it comes to sounds. It has 10 voices, all pretty basic. I don't know anything about Midi yet, but will this be a problem? I assumed if I need more voices later, I could use some sort of midi software, is this the case?

Any suggestions are helpful, thanks!

If you plan on using software then built in sounds won't be much help unless you plan on sampling hardware.
Midi is just a protocol that lets devices be used to trigger inputs on a computer. Literally just controllers.
I wouldn't say a hardware oriented device lacks sounds, more like flexibility.

You will have to explain "voices" though. With software there's no limit.
But, there is also not much of a limit when it comes to hardware oriented devices as well since sampling with a decent mic gives it almost the same flexibility as software synth depending on what the hardware synth is.

Some devices do not have sounds, built in and are pure controllers.

MIDI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
i have a mint condition akai mpk25 that i am trying to sell. i have literally used it one time. it comes in its original box and everything. also comes with ableton lite. get at me!

The MPK25 isn't a "beat machine" by any definition though - it's just a controller that doesn't do a thing on its own. There are no built-in sound nor capabilities to sample.

Might be stating the obvious, but just pointing this out so you don't buy something expecting it to do what it doesn't...

The MPK25 isn't a "beat machine" by any definition though - it's just a controller that doesn't do a thing on its own. There are no built-in sound nor capabilities to sample.

Might be stating the obvious, but just pointing this out so you don't buy something expecting it to do what it doesn't...

good lookin out

ARe you thheee Lecrae? I like your album Rebel. I have it.

One thing im looking into is the Trigger Finger Pro by M audio. Its midi. I layered my beats last night in ableton to make some heavy rich beats you know. :) heaha

I no scoped Korg because of dirty ads.

I ofcourse miss having the infamous TR 909 by Roland, that ones sic.

FaithFox

Back