help with college homework. (music tech)

Joshw2014

ok, so i'm 16 and i started college a few weeks ago. basically i signed for music performance but the budget on my course got cut so they merged the performance and production courses together. because of this i was going to quit the course but i thought it could come in useful and so i decided to stay. the only problem is i know nothing about the technical side and i have an assignment on it. i don't expect you to answer all these questions because there are a lot but any. i'm also not asking you do to my homework for me (although if you do i won't complain) but could you just please give me some information on these questions so i can put it into my own words. any help is appreciated. :)

1. what is a 6.5 mm jack used for.

2 what is an xlr cable used for

3. what is a 3.5 mm jack used for

4. what is a usb used for

5. what is a 5 pin din used for.

What are the two main types of microphone used in the recording studio and what are their main characteristics?

Give 3 examples of which instruments each type of microphone would be suitable for recording.

Thinking about your answer above, analyse why you have made those choices. You should refer to the microphone specification.

What is a microphone’s polar pattern?

Find and label images of the four main microphone polar patterns. (i know you can't really do this one for me but if you could just tell me what to search or something than that would be gooD)

Give a couple of real examples of when and why a microphone’s polar pattern should be taken in to consideration when recording.

again i don't expect you to answer all of these and thanks for any answers posted. also i do want to note that i don't plan on relying on anyone to get through my course and i do want to learn all of these things but right now i just really need some help with it.

3.5mm.Always associate that with headphones/earbuds/device audio jacks.some phones do 2.5mm but yeah, just think headphone jack.
usb lets you connect devices.Google search is overpowered and necessary.google images and type polar whatever you just said lol.
6.5mm...I never saw those in my life.
xlr is for studio monitors, 3 pins mono, 5 pins stereo.dial mono is two eris e5s for example.true stereo is any monitors with 5 pin jacks.
trs can also be used, but longer than 3 feet causes noise interference.

When info given, save immediately. notepad, microsoft/libreoffice tables to organize notes yatta blah garga.
All i know are condensor mics and those recorder mics like h4n.

ok, so i'm 16 and i started college a few weeks ago. basically i signed for music performance but the budget on my course got cut so they merged the performance and production courses together. because of this i was going to quit the course but i thought it could come in useful and so i decided to stay. the only problem is i know nothing about the technical side and i have an assignment on it. i don't expect you to answer all these questions because there are a lot but any. i'm also not asking you do to my homework for me (although if you do i won't complain) but could you just please give me some information on these questions so i can put it into my own words. any help is appreciated. :)

1. what is a 6.5 mm jack used for.

this is usually used for instrument connections such as guitars and stage keyboards, either ts or trs

can also be used as a trs and connect pro-grade headphones

2 what is an xlr cable used for

it depends on what is on the other end of the cable

xlr-trs - microphone or instrument cable to pa head
xlr-xlr - microphone or direct injection in, audio out to amplifiers, old school PA systems used them for speaker connectivity as well

3. what is a 3.5 mm jack used for

appears on headphones sold as consumer grade

4. what is a usb used for

usb is used to connect peripherals to a computer; these can include interfaces, controllers

5. what is a 5 pin din used for.

this is the standard MIDI connector though it can also be used for connecting older pro- and consumer-grade cassette, vinyl and reel to reel machines together

What are the two main types of microphone used in the recording studio and what are their main characteristics?

dynamic and condensor/electret - look up what distinguishes them

Give 3 examples of which instruments each type of microphone would be suitable for recording.

search this out for yourself

Thinking about your answer above, analyse why you have made those choices. You should refer to the microphone specification.

What is a microphone’s polar pattern?

this shows the direction(s) in which the microphone is more sensitive or less sensitive to incoming sound waves

Find and label images of the four main microphone polar patterns. (i know you can't really do this one for me but if you could just tell me what to search or something than that would be gooD)

search polar pattern microphone

Give a couple of real examples of when and why a microphone’s polar pattern should be taken in to consideration when recording.

search this out for yourself

again i don't expect you to answer all of these and thanks for any answers posted. also i do want to note that i don't plan on relying on anyone to get through my course and i do want to learn all of these things but right now i just really need some help with it.

find some books here Focal Press: Audio Engineering Books

Last edited:
I would add that this is the equivalent of the last two years of high school: so go easy on the kid (Senior colleges are found in both the UK and Australia)

I think you should ask or discuss it with professional and you will get your all answer from your library after researching as I know .However you can take help from google which is the best for researching. I think you will get your answer. In your college you will get this kind of question a lot ,That's why I suggested you to research well. Thanks

Back