Hello, Newbie here...

Vagrancy

Hey everyone. I figured i would join your community of musicians hoping to better my knowledge of music. I have always had an interests in making music. When I was a kid, I found the best part of falling into a good video game was the music. Imported cds and osts from japan, played them in my cd player constantly. I enjoyed the music from video games and anime more than anything. Orchestral and Jazz music in my cd player, as a kid in the 6th grade, what a nerd...As of right now, I think my biggest influence is Nujabes, Flying Lotus is next in line.

I picked up FL about 4 years ago, and didn't do well with it. Picked up reason about a year ago, and I just feel overwhelmed with everything this program has to offer. For someone new to making music, these programs are seriously tedious.

Anyways, I want to do this, right, and right now. I have so many beats, rifts and loops I can create in my head, Just having a hard time putting it down in a program, Anyone else feel overwhelmed and ready to quit when they started? But I dont want to give up without seeking the proper knowledge and learning the basics. I felt the same way about Photoshop when I first picked it up, But now I have my own office and make a living self employed, selling my services in advertisement material and graphic design. So I know for a fact if you put your mind to it, anything is possible.

I can't live without music, I can't think right without music, I also can't work productively without music. I know how to take my heart and emotions and create something visual, Now I want to HEAR it.

Anyways, Just a quick introduction. I hope I can one day bring something to the table here. See ya around.

Last edited:
Welcome to FP

It sounds like you need to grow fond of habits and establish a workflow to get comfortable making music in the daw you use.

I dont want to give up without seeking the proper knowledge and learning the basics.

I'd feel worse If I gave up after that. Lol pick a program/setup & stick to it. What you use doesn't matter, it's how you use it. You say you felt the same way on PhotoShop, then you already know what you needa do..

Pick a DAW (I advise fl studio) and STICK WITH IT. Read the manual, find other tutorials and you'll improve. Don't give up when things get a little difficult (after all, you can't live without music, right?).
The reason why I advised fl studio is that fl studio makes it really easy for you to sequence notes by clicking with a mouse even though you don't have a midi keyboard. This is one feature most of the other daw's like cubase sonar etc. lack. Reason also let's you do that but the workflow of the piano roll (so it is called) is a little more tiring, and in reason you can't bring in external vst except those made by Reason.
So, especially since you are a newbie, go for FL Studio!

If you want a headstart on music production in general, check out my blog!

It's at (ckmusicprod.tumblr.com)
Good luck!

I logged in to post a beat for feedback and seen this old post, and reflected on past frustration. I would like to know when and if someone grasped the concept also. That was a long, and aggravating process.

Back