Hello, I am new here, I would like some tips on mixing

Perri

Hi

I would like to get tips on how to mix properly as I seem to be hung up on the fact that things I make do not sound professional. I never really finish projects due to this. I end up finishing it off early and trying again with something else. I appreciate it is not a simple answer but any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks

Perri

Do you have an example of your work? One of the easiest ways to improve is just to get some feedback on a case by case basis and apply what you learn to your future tracks.

Yes my soundcloud - I tried to reply but I need 5 posts to be able to post a link.
I agree with you but also people may have differing opinions on what needs improving right?

Yes my soundcloud - I tried to reply but I need 5 posts to be able to post a link.
I agree with you but also people may have differing opinions on what needs improving right?

True. Any advice is always hit or miss but it's worth listening if you start hearing the same things each time. If you're really unsatisfied with your mixing 100% of the time, it probably is a sound design issue more than mixing. Little things like picking the right snare or finding the right piano patch that best matches the song are way more important than mixing. I spend hours mixing stuff only to find that it's barely noticeable but when I swap out an 808 it totally transforms the song.

Mixing and mastering. I don't have many beats just a kick and some hats usually. Basically trying to get it to sound good and also sound good when play through other people's systems.

I have done this before too - you're right, getting the right sounds from the beginning seems to be key but it seems like you have to go through endless amounts to find the right one, and then still it needs to be mixed well.

Back