Hello everyone, another newbie here looking for some pointers

dankk

Hey guys, my name is Daniel, I am a 19 y/o living in NYC. As you can see by the title I am yet another newbie looking for some help. I really enjoy hip-hop/rap and house music(more specifically the classics), and I feel like I have a good taste for music. I am not in it for the money, I want to take on music production as a new hobby and over time become good at it.
The most discouraging thing for me, like for most, is where to start. Do I attend a music production course(which one is right for me, which one is worth the money, because I know that a lot of them can be pricey) or do I try to learn the craft on my own(I feel like with this I can miss out on a lot of stuff compared to taking a course)?
Those are the two main things I'm jumping between when it comes to starting. I enjoy music, and I know that I want to make it(or at least try lol), but I don't know where to begin.

Thanks in advance for the replies, much love!

Do what you're most comfortable with. If you learn better in a course, take a course. ...But just know that most of the information can be obtained for free if you look hard enough. I taught myself everything on my own. Well, I taught myself music production and music. I learned business at a university...

I know you can teach yourself, because I taught myself. The knowledge is out there (and I'm still learning too, so were in this together). If you're self-motivated enough, you'll find it. ....however, the arts do take a lot of practice. You have to practice often and develop an ear for producing.

Last edited:
I guess I'd value a "studio tech 101" kind of course if I was starting out right now. It's not that you can't find this stuff out on your own (and that's still what 99% of people do), but it can be hard to find a proper entry point and frankly there are a lot of shitty tutorials that are just going to waste your time. But as for the music, just start doing it. The technical difficulties can be overcome with persistence, and most DAWs offer some kind of introductory tutorials to get things started even if they don't hold your hand all the way.

Thanks for the input, I think I'm going to take a beginner producer course and learn the basics of logic or ableton and then go from there.

As a quick little bit of advice... I'd start by programming drum beats. It'll help you get used to working with different sounds, figuring out rhythm grids/piano rolls. After you feel like you can program a drum beat to play in a rhythm you like, add a bass line. I wouldn't worry too much about sound design until you get the basics of making rhythms and melodies that you hear in your head play out on your DAW.

Back