Hello

Squared-Dimension

hi

im new

ive liked electronic music ever since i first heard it when i was middle school... early 90's ish. i was 13 and had my first glimpse of techno or trance, hard dance... not even sure who it was i was listening to. but one thing was for sure, i fell in love with trance and jungle music. trance was a pick me up, times were tough and i was always in my headphones. jungle and drum and bass at the time was new to me and was taking me somewhere i never been. long bus rides to moms or dads was the best cause i was alone and had my cd player, i was lucky to have one. people would give me cds and when i was in the city or when id visit dad we would go to the mall and i could pick something out. it was nice, because even though i was getting something then and there it wasnt really till i heard it, did i receive something. i was hooked, ... as i got to know my dad he shared his love for music too. vinyls and vinyls and vinyls... tubed amps and tubed amps... more tubes... boxes everywhere.

i didnt realize i think till now, upon writing this, just how much music influence has been there in my life. music has always saved me from what ever it was pulling me apart... i literally would run to music, and still do. so now what?

i got some gear and have been playing for decades... on and off... buy and sell gear... life sucks shit happens, sometimes you gotta sell it all and camp out for a few years to figure things out. it really sucks, thinking all this time ive wasted. but the life ive lived has given me something i can give in my music, or at least i hope.

a new studio is in progress, ive already vested thousands and have things up and running, for a bedroom studio that is. (lol you though i had a real studio didnt you?) nope. I built this room on rock and roll... lol did research and scaled down what i would consider a need be for the size and dimensions. corner traps, bass traps, reflection panels, homemade diffusor/absorber, cloud,... i need spike feet for the sub, and some new carpet. i just mangled three cheap pieces of gear into one unit... a midi/usb fader controller for my daw, now i got 27 channels hands on... run out of space for keyboards, and monitors... the sub is too big for my room but is turned all the way down so... got some new plugins for mastering, i am attempting to translate (homemade mastering) instead of paying for mastering. i know i know, im gritting my teeth too here. but i think i can make things sound, good enough... :)

i have an ear, idk why... but i hear the mix nicely. ive djed for over ten years, unprofessionally of course, bedroom more like, or underground rave... thats more of the music i like as well. guitar and piano and i have a good relationship but i need to learn more about music in general and theory, etc... im doing my research as i learn more things to learn. its not easy but being at my computer 10 hours a day studying and applying it, i should catch up soon.

i just want to have fun to be honest and help others to have fun,,, to feel good and positive emotions. i thought djing would be the way but its not really for me, i hate the loud music for hours and all the bullshit that comes with the underground stuff, setting up stages and dealing with people, when you get into organizing events and managing responsibilities, it really changes perspective and your experience. ive always been a natural leader but im not used to following other leaders so it looks quite fitting that im often lost. i love getting fire wood... i really do. camp fires are the best and i love helping out making sure everyone is warm.

years have passed and i havent even been out... no party, no djing... sold the decks years ago. i think i am trying to make this transition from djing to producing. there is so much to learn, but even more to familairize oneself with in order to become proficient...

what im on about now is finding a system that i can create that will help me, not make song at a time, but album at a time... and what i mean is idea structure organizing, layout and planning, visual putting it down and mapping out the album before you even strike a key on the synth or vst. templates for my daw so i can not get lost in one song at a time but plan out the three basic components for each song in the album. this will help my getting lost and bored and no plan for things... if i just applied myself more or had a lil help with what im missing, like most, i would be the next best thing to come out of a bedroom studio. i dont think im special or anything, i dont like the center of attention. but if i want to get paid to perform or make music, how can i over come this? am i really just afraid of success?

like most folks, we all have talent and skill and passion, and where they all intersect, you have a crossroads of intuitive flow... i just wish i wasnt so cut off from the world. i wish, i could take you where ive been, and show you how it feels... to feel amazing things and realize amazing truths or perspectives. idk how to implement this in music... thinking about it... i can do it not thinking about it, thats easy but doesnt always happen. its rare that i share now. i feel sad about that.

Welcome and props for airing out your story. If you like guitar and piano and enjoy them don't let 'em go as they will both outlast any VST, DAW, etc. and one of the best ways to learn about music is to listen to and make it. As you play the aforementioned, possibly jamming w/some friends, offline, if you have any may help keep your passion alive more than staring at a computer screen for hours.

If you say you want to have fun help others do the same, that should be your raison d'etre for making music, 'cause when all the usual reasons e.g. money, "hoes," hangers on who want to relieve you of your material gain(s) due to your success, etc. leave, the love is all that's left.

Don't worry about being the next best thing, the superstar era is long gone and most of the acts that kept the business afloat ain't about to let go of what they've been accustomed to anytime soon. As for success you have to define it for yourself. Don't worry about getting paid because if you know the reality of the biz, many people have never gotten their just due financially, some have and the business only pays people when they are forced to e.g. lawsuits.

Last edited:
Back