Headphones for mixing advice

tommywadd

Greetings everyone

Just posting as any advice on a good pair of studio headphones to help with mixing would be great. I currently only mix with my speakers yet due to family around etc it is difficult to do anything at night so a pair of headphones will help. I know the more expensive the headphones the better, yet my bugdget is around £100 tops

thanks

The AKG K240 Studio, and possibly the newer version, AKG K240 MKII, should be available within your price range.

Overall, I love AKG headphones and own several models, including the K240 MKII. Compared to some of the high-end AKG headphones, such as the K712 Pro and Q701, the K240s are a very good value.

Last edited:
are the akg k430 good quality also? those are in my local store so maybe they will be similar quality to the ones you recommended?

thanks

are the akg k430 good quality also? those are in my local store so maybe they will be similar quality to the ones you recommended?

thanks

They are very coloured, not meant for music creation. Wouldn't recommend. ATH M50s, AKG K240s, Sennheiser HD280s, maybe the KRK KNS 6400s.

thanks

I never heard of the AKG K430 until your post. Upon review, I believe the AKG K430 is a hifi headphone and not design for studio use. Although you can probably adjust to them over time, I would avoid them for mixing purposes.

A hifi headphone will impart an accentuated frequency curve to provide a better user listening experience on a broad range of sound systems and sources. This is good for casual listening, but not for critical listening to make mixing decisions.

Conversely, a studio headphone provides a flatter frequency curve to provide the user with a close-to-accurate reflection of the sound presented. For studio mixing purposes, the neutral sound reproduction is more beneficial.

Mixing on headphones is already a difficult task. Hifi headphones will make the said process more challenging.

The AKG K240 Studio costs about the same as the AKG K430 (at least in the US). The AKG K240 model is somewhat of a studio classic.

Also, two other products, within your price range, that might be useful to you and more available within your local area are the Sony MDR7506 and Sennheiser HD-280 PRO. I do not own either product, but both are popular entry-level studio headphones.

If you can find them on sale, the Sony MDR7510 and Sennheiser HD-380 PRO might also be available within your budget.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have a pair somewhere...they're fine for tracking and casual listening but wouldn't really use them for any crucial mixing decisions. Haven't heard the Perception model though, mine are the plain ol' K44s.

I have two pairs one for me and one for my son - they are well-regarded where he is studying and yes they are cheap but are very good at what they do; as krushing notes, I would not, however, use them for final mixing, preferring to use my monitoring set-up instead

some graphs showing frequency response of some of those that have been mentioned - the others are not available for comparison at this site; Build A Graph | headphone.com , where you can also buy your headphones if you want to.....

headphonesCompare1.png

headphonesCompare2.png

note that I have kept the Sennheiser's (providing the least colouration) and the AKG k701's in both graphs to ensure accurate comparison

in order I would probably go with

Sennheiser HD280pro
AKG K701
AKG Q701
ATH M50x
KRK KNS6400
AKG K240MKII

Last edited:
I've came to the same conclusion, I'll be traveling allot so i wanted to make my studio portable so i decided to go with some good studio headphones, i've done LOTS of research and reading reviews for all types of headphones. I'm going to be creating deep tech house music as well as down south hiphop music so I needed a bass heavy headphone would be best. My price range was around $150-200 US. I decided from all the brands that I'm going with ATH M50x which is $167 US which had AMAZING reviews, I'll be buying them tomorrow so if you want a personal review you can PM me

Just wanted to say I use Sennheiser headphones and end up with pretty decent mixes. The ones I got are about 70$ but they have a wide range of prices.

Greetings everyone

Just posting as any advice on a good pair of studio headphones to help with mixing would be great. I currently only mix with my speakers yet due to family around etc it is difficult to do anything at night so a pair of headphones will help. I know the more expensive the headphones the better, yet my bugdget is around £100 tops

thanks

I've got Sony MDR 7506 and I love them. Consider checking them out, cheers

Back