Headphones...

Worth checking out the AudioTechnica ATH-M50 - They seem to becoming a standard a home producers...
I'm still using my 20 year old pair of BeyerDynamic DT100's. Not the best sounding phones but non-fatiguing and very comfortable... If I were to upgrade I'd probably go with another pair from the DT range (770 most likely) in the hope of getting another 20+ years of use.

But yeah - check out the ATH-M50's

Honestly it comes so much down to comfortability and sound. I have DT 770's and I'm extremely happy with them, very comfy and sound incredible. But they're around $250, so that just depends on how much you want to spend :)

I need something clear sounding for mixing and mastering and all of that, i'm hearing good things about both. I'll sit on it

Either go with beyerdynamic stuff or try some of the sennheiser stuff. Alesso said that he mixes a lot of his stuff on his sennheiser headphones.

My gut telling my the Sennheiser, but to be honest haven't listened to either. I will when I stop by the store and try giving all of them a spin. Of course I keep hearing different things. I want to make sure my mixes are accurate

My gut telling my the Sennheiser, but to be honest haven't listened to either. I will when I stop by the store and try giving all of them a spin. Of course I keep hearing different things. I want to make sure my mixes are accurate

Well to get it accurate, you have to listen to it on different things, and to continue on with what I said -- Alesso also mentioned that testing mixes on monitors and laptop speakers are super important. You can;t expect to have a perfectly accurate mix just on a single pair of headphones.

I know, i'm getting speakers and I will listen to it off my computer. One dude on Youtube said its good to get cheap logitech speakers with your studio monitors

I know, i'm getting speakers and I will listen to it off my computer. One dude on Youtube said its good to get cheap logitech speakers with your studio monitors

Yeah, well before Porter Robinson had some decent monitors, he was using some shitty logitech speakers for ages haha.

beyerdynamic DT 1770 PRO

The Beyer Dynamic DT 1770 Pro's should be coming some time in September. I'm thinking about getting them if the reviews go well or I can hear them somehow. I was more sold on the ATH-M50x last year instead of the DT 770's and got those mostly because the detachable/replaceable cables and cups. Nothing I dislike about the M50x. I was put off that the DT 770's didn't have easy cable replacement because I have bad luck with shorts. Also some of the videos I seen on them that grey suede be looking kind of dirty lol. They changed it from grey to black. So now the new ones fixed what I didnt really like about them. I'm just trying to give my ears another opinion.

edit
.......idk the recommend retail price is $599 from what I read :4theloveofgod:
could change though. Doesn't seem like it would fly off shelves with that price imo.

Last edited:
What up fellas....was at Guitar Center today looking for my headphones, got there grabbed the sennheiser and asked if I could listen to them, plugged them in my phone (some dude was blasting techno in the speakers section close to me) honestly for all the rave reviews I didn't like them, they were a bit to flat and I couldn't hear this detail that a lot of people were talking about. I thought maybe it was cause dude was blasting techno So I tried out the MTH50, and man they hit my soul it was flat, but sounded better and clearer, I could actually feel the music through those. After I was done with those told the guy I honestly thought the MTH50 sounded better to me. He thought the Sennheiser were better (subjective) I was thinking about saving money, and other variables like "who cares if the sennheriser is monotonous I will have studio speakers to listen to that will provide the bass sound. Went around the corner grabbed some tacos and sat on it.

Came back and still couldn't make up my mind. So I told another worker crack out those Sennheisers again maybe that techno distorted some of the sound since I heard it through the cans. Tried it again and it was hitting and feeling, I was forcing to like it because it was cheaper in price and was the reason I went there to get those cans in mind. Told him crack open the MTH50 again. Put them on and man it hit even better the sound is so clear,flat, but has soul,bass,bump ended up buying the MTH50. Lesson of the day be patient, open minded, and don't be bias or stubborn listen to how your body feels, go with your heart

They may sound more open if you burn them in. When I first got my M50x the bass was really tight and the snares were a bit abrasive on top after a while they seemed more open. Then again the head band loosened up too. They clamped my head. All is fine now. Some will argue that burn in is a myth...I feel like mine sound different from out of the box. It could be diffent for you though the M50 is slightly different from the M50x in frequency response and they have different pads so it may be different with clamping and bass. I trust them for my mixes translating back to monitors. Not really much of a difference.

Back