Hardest beat making phase

For me its was the trying to sound like another producer phase it gave me plenty of headaches how about u?

I understand how you feel. I too wish to sound like my idols. However, there is a difference between comparison and reference. It is always good to be inspired by the music you listen to but to critique yourself over other peoples music can be a double edged sword. You can improve your skills as an artist by copying your favour producer but if you expect to sound like them is a pretty big task to manage. Even if you tried to copy a track completely you simply would not be able to get it sound EXACTLY the same.

I found the same problem with this phase too, I wanted to sound like XYZ producer, but I was not happy with the results! I felt like I was so far away from their level of production. But I learned to play the guitar and I went through the same phase of trying to copy the greats, and I thought I was never going to be good enough. But hard work pays off for sure!

I think procrastination is the hardest thing for me as a producer to overcome. I think you really need a space free from distractions, even turning off the internet and phone can really help you free yourself from distractions.

^ ya, I hear this. It's the "notification mania". We're all waiting for the next update, or the next 100 views, or the next email/message.
It can drain a lot of our time..

When we have to work, we have to work and focus on the work. I agree on the focus.

But for me, the hardest beat making phase...? Um, mastering. And it still is. ...dunno if I'll ever be an expert though. It's a never ending learning process.

Last edited:
^ ya, I hear this. It's the "notification mania". We're all waiting for the next update, or the next 100 views, or the next email/message.
It can drain a lot of our time..

When we have to work, we have to work and focus on the work. I agree on the focus.

But for me, the hardest beat making phase...? Um, mastering. And it still is. ...dunno if I'll ever be an expert though. It's a never ending learning process.

This.. focus on the work. There's 2 elements to that: putting in the work, and dedicating yourself to it.
I cut out social media, and I don't watch TV if it's not on demand.. aka, I control what I see and what I don't... and when. I manage my time, no-one else.
I have 3 awesome cats so the only real reason to be on facebook (cute cat videos) is moot for me too. Most of my friends are either rarely, barely or never on facebook anyway.

For me, the hardest part is the empty screen. Blank projects are scary and metronomes ticking over are creepy. I try to get something down fast, so I get something going.. even if it's in the wrong direction.
I used to struggle with mixing a lot, but I focused a lot on getting that right... turns out I was overcomplicating things way too much.

lol i hate metronome also and i never use it ever just throws me off i use a snare to guide me thats how i start all my tracks even ones that wont have a snare or clap in it

Back