Got a 1,000 dollar budget where do I begin

I got the demo of FL studio 11 and Abelton, was just wondering how 12 is. I been thinking I want to use a software/hardware approach. How well does fl studio 11 work with hardware?

I hope you guys can stomach all these stupid questions I am a beginner in this, but a quick learner. I know a control is a Keyboard.....What what a Maschine Mikro be considered? Is that a midi keyboard/controller to?

FL11 is likely to be fairly similar to FL12 to be honest... 12 is an update (or overhaul at best) but there's unlikely to be anything groundbreakingly different between the 2...

maschine mikro is is in my opinion one of the biggest bargains in music tech right now.
Same software as the other Maschine units - simply a smaller controller - meaning more use of the 'shift' key and less shortcuts.
Maschine can be opened in your DAW as a VST but you can also open VSTs from within it.
Or you can (as I do) work from Maschine as a 'standalone' application. Since V2 it has a mixer.
Only real drawback for most people is its 'scene-based' sequencer over the more normal 'linear' based sequencers in most DAWs.
If you do chose to work in standalone mode, exporting audio (or midi) into your DAW is a doddle (ha! Not used 'doddle' in time!!).
its got a very easy workflow - once you have it all installed (which took a while) you can knock out a beat in minutes...
I've got the MKII but have been looking for a Mikro as a more portable piece if working from other people's places...

loads of of stuff on YouTube to check out... You should.

Ok I am confused what is MIDI? is MIDI the keyboard right? And What is a synthesizer do I have to by that seperately from the MIDI? And what is a Mixer for and do I need it?

MIDI - Musical Instrument Digital Interface.

its a standard (or protocol if you prefer) of sending messages between equipment and or software...
In the simplest sense you're creating on/off messages to trigger audio at specific points in time.
A midi controller has no sound see. You 'trigger' the audio by delivering an 'on' message when hitting the pad/key...

You DAW will undoubtedly have some kind of 'soft-synth' (and there's plenty of free ones out there to mess with) I'd avoid getting a hardware synth at this point and just get a fairly basic controller keyboard
Did you check out any maschine videos? Maschine Workflow is very quick to get into... You'll literally be knocking out beats in minutes! Comes with lots of good sounds and is a decent sampler (certainly for hiphop purposes).

Thanks, sorry for all these dumb questions been reading up on it all day. Looking in to a keyboard and a maschine...still learning about mixers and samplers (hardware) if I even need those right now. And learning what firewire is etc

My PC is from 2011, I checked if it had firewire and it does not. I have a Hewlett Packard "beats audio" go figure touchscreen computer. I will be using USB to connect most of my gear.

Since my computer is a little bit older, it does claim to have beats audio, I wonder if they soundcard is up to par or should I purchase a audio interface.

There is a few options, get a mixer. Most of the ones in my budget seem to record one track at a time is that enough?

Or I can go with the Audio Interface/mixer combined. Which is essentially is your soundcard?

Or just a Audio interface which is your soundcard. Is a mixer even necessary?

The onboard soundcard in most (if not all) laptops are shite... You WANT (read: NEED) an external USB audio interface...

and forget firewire for now at least....

Last edited:
Keep some cash aside... You might decide you want a pad controller (or maybe Maschine Mikro - comes with lots of sounds and the Maschine is just dope) or a mic (you just said 'beat'?) or a turntable (for sampling vinyl - although you have YouTube) later.

Gotcha that is why I asked you said later its possible I might want a maschine mikro....heading to guitar center tommorow to check out some monitors

How I started is by buying a use computer, a Midi keyboard akia mpk25, and studio head phone.I bough the computer used because i didn't have enough money to invest in a new one just make sure that the processor (CPU) is 2.0 or above if your trying to use fl studio so you won't get that annoying buzz when making a beat. Also you need a software, VSTs, Drum kits, and etc, I got all these from a friend fortunately. But yeah that's all yo need to start making beats that's how I started

There are several DAW choices that have already been posted but I am vary surprised that no one has mentioned Reaper. You can download it and try it without buying a license and then if you do decide to go for it the cost is very reasonable. Avoid Protools for now. It is too much money for what you get and need. I second the people who said check out PreSonus.StudioOne. That is what I use and I love it!

I will have to disagree with some of the post who say that a good set of phones can be used instead of monitor speakers. Good speakers are essential and should be a top priority. Look around and you can find some deals. I recently bought a pair of Tannoy Reveal 501a's that were factory refurbs for $224 for the pair and I couldn't be happier. The Tannoys are wonderful and as good as any speakers of that size that I've ever used.

Trying to find out if my CPU has USB 3.0 or 2.0 ports. From what I read on the specs it says it has 2 USB 3.0 ports and 4 USB 2.0 ports. One Review of the computer says it only has USB 2.0. Is there a way I can find out which USB I have on my computer? Its a HP touchsmart 520 from 2011-2012

Last edited:
Back