Good starter 49-key MIDI?

DWKNS

SWIL
Hey everyone,

I'm on the hunt for a good 49er which I'll be using with Logic. My budgets nothing too crazy ($200-$300).

I recently began to learn music theory so I'm not looking for anything under 49-key, but have no sufficient room for 61. I don't have too much when it comes to a setup, just a pair of monitors, my computer and a cheap 25-key that I'll be replacing. Because of my small setup, and the fact that this controller will be my only investment for the next few months, it's probably best I get a one that will give me a good amount of bells and whistles (such as pads).

I'll more than likely be buying it second-hand. I've found a few MPK49s ranging from $250-300 and an Axiom 49 (no pro) for $250. I wanna put all of my options out on the table though.

Thanks for everyone's help. Continue making dope shit.

The best thing is to go to a local shop if you have the ability. You want to get a feel for the keys. That's probably most important to you. Some prefer MPK keys.. others prefer Axiom keys.

I would honestly look into a Novation keyboard. I personally have the SL... best keys on keyboard that's midi only IMO. The only better keys out to me are on keyboard workstations & synths, older synths, and keyboard pianos (the kinds that are marketed as portable keyboards and have basic sounds, but aren't marketed for production really... ie Yamaha PSR 273).

For 49 keys... i'd look into a used Novation. If you need pads... i'd check out the Impulse. The pads on the SL suck complete ass lol.... but I use a Korg padKontrol anyway. I like it better.

I know from testing the MPK49 that the pads are not very inspiring... and greatly benefit from installing cheap $5 pad sensitivity upgrades onto the sensors. Makes a world of different.. at least it did on the MPD18 I used to have. I can't speak on the Axiom since I never used it outside of testing the keyboard at a local music store.

SAVE UP & check out the new akai MAX49. I honestly feel it's killing the 49 key midi controllers on the market. Nobody is buying it & it's gone down from $550 to $404 just in the last 2 months.

Bro get the M-Audio Key Rig 49 it's 49 keys and is perfect.. I bought it for the first time in 2010 and it's the only keyboard I use till this day.

He asked for pads also though. However... w/ the money saved you should be able to get a separate pad controller.

I had an old MAudio keyboard... they do their job. Values & feel wise their pretty good.. but some of there older stuff is very faulty, so be careful w/ the older models. I had an Maudio Oxygen v2, Radium 49, and Keystation Pro 88... a literally each item had an issue. The Oxygen's mod wheel skipped from 55 to 98 making it impossible to play smooth mod wheel stuff... the Radium had a knob that stopped working.. and the KPPro88's entire top half of the board stopped working, leaving me with the most massive 49 key controller i've ever seen lol.

And yet and still i know keyboardists who have had the regular Keystation 88es for years lol... so it's a toss up.

Thanks a lot for everyone's input. I'll definitely take a look at some of your suggestions and stop by a local retailer and get a feel for them.

Would some of you suggest going with a low(er) budget midi, like a keyrig, and then using the leftover money on something like a nanopad?

Last edited:
Tbh, I wouldn't rely on a nanopad giving me good responsive pads to actually feel your performing on an instrument, no latency issues in pads being less responsive or otherwise.
Cphoenix already gave pretty good advise that I'd double.
What I want is pads, keys, faders and knobs.
I started off with a midi keyboard with faders and knobs, screw the pads. Getting good pads is BS to expect on a keyboard. Starting off with the fact you'd like 4x4 pads anyway. The Akai max looks good, haven't felt them though. They have rows of 4, but only 3 high :(
PadKontrol is by far the most responsive pad controller for that price. Basic, does what it should. It's no Mobile Production Center, it's a midi controler that controls midi through pads.
You can't beat that responsiveness with any pad controller out there for that price, new or second hand, by a long shot.
For extra knobs and faders you could go cheap ass and get a nanocontrol or you can go more expensive thinking in the line of a novation remote zero sl, ohm, or even if you think real big, digital mixer like the tascam d-3200 for instance. You could combine that in a keyboard though.
I'd definitely get a novation impuls if I'd get a keyboard now. Probably 88 keys, but 49 would do good as well. If you start playing piano like a master, you'd probably want a sick ass expensive piano anyway :P
I hate the keys on M-Audio keyboards. From the cheap ass ones till the expensive ones. This can be a personal feel though, I'd say experience the keys yourself at a local shop. I got a cakewalk A500 myself, still works marvelous, but I'd still rather have the novation impulse for a few more bucks.
Wouldn't trade in the PadKontrol for anything else tbh. I don't want the Maschine or any other MPC, I'd rather do that stuff with my DAW.
I Like adding more controllers and faders with the remote zero sl mk1 though. Great fun to work with the instruments through a bit of real hardware.
How are you on soundcard and monitor speakers?

Yeah... i'd either do one of the following ultimatey..

1) Get your favorite keyboard with the best keybed (depending on your testing em out at a store... i still like Novation personally)... and then try to find it for a good used price on Guitar Center or eBay. (I'm assuming you live in the US though). Then grab the padKontrol. I got both of mine used and spent $250 (49 SL mkii on amazon... complete steal!) + $50 (padKontrol off craigslist).

or...

2) Get an MPK and don't be afraid to unscrew it.. open it up... and place some pad sensitivity strips on it, and screw it back closed. The MPK's keybed isnt bad at all.I think their 2nd to Novation stuff but... it's a personal choice again. Also.. i can understand if you want the keys & pad in a neat package. You'll really want those pad upgrades though... no joke. Go to Akai MPC Parts , Accessories , Faceplates and More at MPCstuff.com or ebay. it's seriously a night and day difference.

Thanks for your opinion phoenix. I actually live in Canada, but I've been looking around for both an mkii or impulse and a padkontrol and and I know it'll take me forever to find the kind of steals like you did. I checked local listings and can't find a padKontrol for any less than $120 or an mkii for any less than $350. Both of these together are way over my budget.

I think I'll personally go with the mpk49 and switch out the pads as you suggested. This method might cost me a little bit over $300 which is more within my means and provides me with the neat pad/midi package.

In terms of getting a feel for each keyboard and finding the one that fits me, I don't think it'll matter much due to my inexperience with boards. I've only owned an Oxygen 25 and a cheap acorn instruments 25-key, so anything is a major upgrade for me. I don't think I'll ever know the difference between Novation and the mpk49 unless I bought both.

Last edited:
I'm also considering saving more money and getting an Axiom 49 instead of the MPK49. I can get a used one, with a stand, for $200 from a local listing in my area (I can probably even knock him down to $180). Has anyone heard of or experienced any major downfalls with this controller? How are its pads in comparison to MPK49's stock pads? Is it a decent controller overall that works with Logic?

Or are the MPK49s features that much better/useful to cough up an extra $100+?

Last edited:
I definitely don't like the keys on any M-Audio, let alone call it weighted, or even semi weighted for that matter.
On the pads, the 4x2 on an axiom or the 3x3 on an mpk49 is not something I'd like in layout and amount of pads. Anything less then a 4x4 just doesn't cut it for me.
Then, the pads itself and it's responsiveness is neither to my liking.
That's just my opinion.
Padkontrol + cheap midi keyboard, then upgrade the midi keyboard later would be my advise.

You gotta know where to look my friend lol

Guitar Center
Type in "padkontrol" There's a Guitar Center in colorado selling a black one for $80 + shipping. and a white one going for $90 + shipping.

and a Novation 49 SL mkii going got $300 + shipping at a Guitar Center in Massachusetts.

Granted that's $400 so I know it's slightly overbudget... but it's more doable than u think. u could hold ur money, wait a month and save the extra dollars if u really really wanted to go that route.

or yeah.. the MPK w/ upgraded pads may be your best bet. admittedly if i had your budget and didn't want to wait.. i'd go that route to save space.

Unfortunately I live in Canada so I don't have access to Guitar Center's amazing deals :(. As soon as I change my country, none of those used padkontrols and novations are for sale.

I'll keep an eye out for some Canadian-shipping equivalents though. If not I'm probably just go with the MPK49 solution.

Last edited:
I got an Oxygen 49 controller for $99 new 6 months ago. The weighted keys are decent enough, but it comes with 8 sliders & buttons, 8 knobs, mod and pitch wheel, all mappable in Ableton. It's a great starter keyboard.

Back