Good Music Production Schools?

BucMack

Looking to go to school for music production but not sure what will be the best place to go... Searched up a few places but its my first time looking into colleges plus new to music production so I'm unsure on whats a good school. I'm really serious about this and any help will be appreciated. I live in new york if that helps the matter. Thank you

any other things you like to study??
Business??
Guitar??
Piano??
Saxophone???

don't just look for a school to make beats
look for a school that can teach you
1. a instrument(guitar,piano,saxophone)
2.Business of Music
3.Audio Engineering

because if you just want to make beats you don't need to go to school for that

what equipment do you have now??
what music experience do you have now??

how do we know you're serious??
because if you're serious you should already have some instrumentals made and displayed online

this is my opinion

I just don't want you to jump into this Music game thinking is all gravy

when just being a music producers
1.cost a bit of money on equipment
2.tons of time needs to be spent on learning,practicing
3.no guarantee to make any money

if you learn the Audio Engineering you may be able to get a job and build a career for a big business company just as Disney(TV channel/theme parks),Fox network,CBS,ESPN,ect..
because a lot of Companies need in house audio engineers

let us know more about you and what you have done that makes you SO serious about Music Production as a career choice?

I want to learn all i can learn bro. Currently learning the piano and guitar i just have a lot of ideas that i think are good honestly and not just beats. I honestly don't care about the money i just want to make music because i feel i can do it. Thanks for the advice though

as far as equipment i have 2 guitars, a piano keyboard, and a laptop. So I've been learning from books on my own and had a piano teacher. And from the books i can already read music and play what i read on the piano and guitar farely well. i just thought if i went to school and had a teachers and peers to learn from it'll help a lot.

I agree with what fataltone said above. I would add that if you are not looking for carrier development in music it would be far better and more fulfilling to learn on your own time. There are good resources online and tons of videos on youtube. Most people learn that way and have made amazing music, solely from that.

If you seriously heavy on cash though and into EDM check out dubspot. I've heard good stuff about it.

I would love to make it a career but I'm also realistic and i know tons never make it or quit. I didn't just wake up yesterday thinking this i just started putting more effort into it recently. But thanks Alex i appreciate your feedback as well

College is beneficial for learning. Right away, you have a large network of peers and experts at your fingertips, you have a space to not only develop your craft,but to learn people skills (VERY NECESSARY in the arts), as well as valuable time to research and practice your craft. Go for it!

Also, in regards to career development, I hate when people say "I would love to do ___, but lets be realistic..." That statement is already a proclamation of defeat. You should be thinking about how you're gonna be able to make music production a career, building strategies to stand out amongst your peers. The people who are doing this as a career figured this out early, they didn't acquiesce themselves to defeat early on by "being realistic", but by being competitive and business-minded.

Last edited:
There are different schools suited for different needs. Some of these schools require no musical knowledge, while some of them require you to be musically proficient and usually require some sort of performance.

There are schools such as Full Sail University in Florida, Five Towns College on Long Island, and Dubspot in NYC, LA, and online. These schools won't require any musical knowledge.

Prestigious schools such as Berklee in California, and the Clive Davis Institute in NYC require a performance, but these are the most promising types of schools if you're passionate about music

If you're serious about music, and want to be accreddited for it in a form of a degree, then I would recommend either your local community college or the Dubspot courses in NYC. These are (relatively) cheaper courses compared to four year degrees and universities. If you were to go for Dubspot I would go for one course instead of the master class just to dip your feet in the water. If you prove to be talented and passionate in this field, and wish to continue on with a traditional musical education, then you can consider a prestigious university. Remember these are very expensive, and wont guarantee a career. In essence, anything you learn in these schools, you can learn by yourself on your own time at a fraction of the price.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the meantime, have you checked out sites like Groove3, Lynda, and MacProVideo?

If I were you, I'd learn what you can on your own first - it's a lot cheaper than college, and can provide a lot of the same information.

-Ki
Salem Beats (+Reviews)
gpWmqu

yeah i made a Lynda account and been learning stuff on there. Haven't heard about the others will definitely look into them. thanks for all the advice though.

When I first started, I had tons of ideas. Then it took me years to learn all the stuff. Now I forgot and moved on to other ideas. I can teach you how to learn Ableton Live real quick now though. I play guitar, harmonica, trumpet, keyboard.

Pm me if you would like to learn over the internet. I'm a really really good teacher.

Back