Getting Studio Monitors

BoomBapBlue

What up , i need some suggestion about studio monitors , next month im going to buy some monitors , i wanna get a pair for 300$ max.
I've been doing some research and im interested in these 2 : JBL Lsr305 and Krk Rokit Rp5 ..But.. some people told me that the Rokit has to much bass, now.. i think monitors should be as flat as possible for mixing.
JBL are even cheaper than the rokit , so extra point for them..Someone has some feedback about these 2 pair of monitors?

I have the rockit ones and they're clear but I haven't compared them side by side to another set. Also if you want to mix bass you'll need a bass speaker. The 4 inch sub on studio monitors is not going to cut it for bassline mixing. They're meant for mixing mids and highs.

To answer the question though, probably the JBL if that's how you're leaning.

As far as I understand, Rokit 5/6 is a very good entry level monitor due to good bass response, then the 8s and more expensive models fall short of other brands. Don't know about JBL

Tbh, I doubt you'll get very good feedback here. Most of us only have one or two sets of monitors we use ourselves and can't compare. Try googling 'monitor name' reviews and look at 3/4 reviews, see if there are any common features people agree on.

I was lucky enough to be able to get to a store where I could check out several pairs (over a cup of coffee).
I took my iPad with me - played a load of music I knew really well (classic albums and some of my own stuff)
I walked out with Yamaha HS-7's but the Rokit-5 were pretty good.
HS-5's were lacking (you'd need a sub)
Adams were out of my price range but sounded good.

I was lucky enough to be able to get to a store where I could check out several pairs (over a cup of coffee).
I took my iPad with me - played a load of music I knew really well (classic albums and some of my own stuff)
I walked out with Yamaha HS-7's but the Rokit-5 were pretty good.
HS-5's were lacking (you'd need a sub)
Adams were out of my price range but sounded good.
There's a lot of factors that could have had it's influence on your listening experience as well. The digital audio converters of your ipad for one.
You say the HS5 were lacking and you'd need a sub vs the Rokit5 being pretty good. The Rokit 5 has a very artificial bass produced by build of the case and some other technical trickery. The HS5 with a sub , properly set up in a room that works well with audio would be a lot better then the rokits. The HS5 has less of this trickery incorporated and just didn't try to represent the lower frequencies as much as the rokit.
I think the Yamaha HS series is not good nor bad. Didn't dislike it's sound, didn't like it much either. I disliked the rokits. Worked on em for years. A lot of it comes down to personal preference though.

thx y'all for the info.. im thinking about yamaha hs5 and jbl lsr305 , i'll probably go for one of those 2.. i wont buy a sub tho.. i have to buy the audio interface too..
Does yamaha hs5 have a decent low end without a sub?

Last edited:
Headphones, earpods, & speakers.
My fam has klipsch wit ha sub.
I use presonus.

I recommend any brand that is not yamaha/krk personally. But that is opinion.

Bit of a weird view. Bass doesn't exclude mid. Not in a proper setup. The quality of the speaker matters. Or are you speaking of what you max can buy with that money?
Big speakers can make small sound. Just don't crank the volume. Small speakers can't produce a proper bass, that is a fact.

You need to learn your speaker. Know where it's downfalls are and how to counter it. This will take comparing the mix over different setups and have reference to those setups/track. Take something you heard often, listen to that on all setups, do the same with your mix.

All speakers are different and have different sounds. They do differ in how many errors they have. How not representative they are.

I'd go for 8 inch and up. I name a few in the links.

Hey look check out my mixdowns here... SongConquest - Music Talent Contest

Right then see if you still feel like a know it all and want to school me?

I basically am the only person in this thread, maybe even in the country that knows what the f**k I am doing at this point in time, and people are trying to tell me about speaker sizes?

Look your from Holland ok, if i need to find out about transvestite or prostistute in shop window i will ask you...

But leave the sound to the big boys ok.

I have the Rokit's G2, not G3 and I really love them. My Rokit's are 8'' and I really like it. I produce beats, mix and master with them and think they're very good, despite some opinions against. It's sure there are better monitors like VXT and some people prefer Yamaha's, but I already used HS50M monitors and switched them with a person for the Rokit's, I observed the bass increase, but also observed a better high end frequencies, smoother than the HS50M. It's ok I wasn't in a good place to produce (a room without acoustic, an assimetric place) but I feel uncomfortable listening to the HS50M observing the high frequencies in this place. Well, they are very good monitors (HS50M), but I prefer my Rokit's 8''. If you purchase Rokit 5'' you'll have a good set of monitors, but you have to understand that 5'' isn't enough for bass, a subwoofer will be welcome.

Last edited:
Back