Getting started (need advice - gear)

pathfinder

Hey there,
I am not quite new to music production as I am trying to get into it for over 10 years. Many mishaps did handicap me in this journey. So I am still finding my path. I did finish real-life 6 month course for Electronic Music Production, apart from clearing a bit of fog in my mind I still did not get a grasp for producing music. I tried and gave up dozens of times. One day I try, get disappointed and give up. Few days after I see it's not so hard, give try again, get disappointed, give up... Rinse and repeat. I really want to enjoy this hobby and do some music. Doesn't need to be world class. It can only be for me and few people on the internet and my narrow social life. It doesn't need to be profitable. I just want to enjoy my hobby.

So I want to give this one last push (I am always saying this, but I promise I will not give up so easily this time!). I am just a noob. Just starting, well, doing that for 10+ years. Always finding excuses. I have mediocre laptop with i5 2.2 GHz dual core and 8GB RAM. But well enough for simple to middle complex projects. I am using, or rather say, settling down with FL Studio. It's most beginner friendly as I've heard. At least has most online resources for it. What am I missing? MIDI keyboard and HEADPHONES. Why I bolded headphones? Cause I think I can make music without MIDI keyboard but heard that headphones are must. Anyhow, I do not know how to play any instrument. So I have gaming headphones (around 50$ was their price), but I heard they are no use for music production. Since I am very short on budget and I need them desperately I would ask you for help and advice which I should buy? My budget is just 50$ max, including shipping. So if you can link me some good offer on eBay (preferably), it can be any eBay, German, English, or just eBay.com. Or refer me to somewhere where I can buy one for >50$. I have found this article on the internet: (can't post links so just type in google): best studio headphones under 50 (it's article from remixing planet) so if you can verify them or tell me some that would really beat my Trust GXT 322 gaming headset. Or should I settle down with gaming headset? If it's not such difference, I would.

I appreciate your help and thanks for helping me :)

Hey man. I have the similar problem, I do everything to not make music, I don't know why, I find excuses like "Ohh I want to spend this day finding plugins" and other bs

But the secret is simple, make music a lot, and work hard. Spend few hours a day literally making stuff no matter how bad it is

Btw good headphones are
[h=3]sennheiser hd 205[/h]

sounds like you're having a problem with concentrating on making music. happens to me all the time and it is completely normal with all the crazy shit life throws at you.

one thing I've found that helps me is first, get your life priorities straight. if you've been putting off doing something important for yourself (personal) get it done. otherwise it will constantly nag at you and affect your mood and ultimately your work.

next, clean off the desk / area you're making music at. I don't know why that helps me but it does.

lastly, devote a certain amount of time out of the week solely to making music and learning by trial and error. unplug from any social media / video games / youtube / tv / etc during. those kind of things will only distract you and you won't get anything done. even 30 minutes can be used effectively when you don't have distractions.

as for the gear, it isn't as important as understanding production and applying what you know. headphones or monitors are a must, but you don't necessarily need to spend thousands of dollars on new gear to make something that sounds good. plenty of artists started out with basically a laptop and nothing else so use that as inspiration.

good luck bro!

Last edited:
I like Novation keyboards... The Impulse line offers a good range of features for the price.

Re: Headphones... I used an old pair of BeyerDynamic DT100's for years but my wife and boys got me a pair of Audio Technica ATH-50X for Christmas last year and I've barely touched the DT's since.

Used them for checking mixes (I mix on Yamaha HS-7's), tracking guitars, live percussion and vocals and production duties when the baby is sleeping.

Theyre great.

Edit: I'd have no qualms buying a used board - but you should perhaps save a little more for a new pair of phones...

Last edited:
Back