Getting people to hear you

Get features with people who already have a large fan base.
this also coming down to engaging with others,building true relationships
I have received mentoring, free products and services because of building relationships

Play shows (open mics, open jams, sub for other musicians in a band, form your own band, etc.)

Network with other musicians

I Too Once Had Problems With This But The Fix Is Very Simple.
1.MAKE ENJOYABLE MUSIC
2.TWITTER/YOUTUBE/FACEBOOK/SOUNDCLOUD/ANYTHING WHERE PEOPLE CAN HEAR AND TALK ABOUT YOUR MUSIC
3.BE CONSISTENT
4.STOP WORRYING ABOUT NUMBERS(THEY DON"T COME FAST IT WILL TAKE MONTHS..MAYBE YEARS.)
5.MOST IMPORTANTLY-NETWORK....WITH.....OTHER....ARTIST!
:victory:

Don't forget about college radio stations. You might not be able to get onto the mainstream radio with an indie song, but the colleges in my area seem like they will play anything that sounds at least halfway decent. Might help to promote yourself around that college too, even if it's just in the form of posters on the bulletin boards or something. People see the name on the poster, they hear the track on the radio, and then they check you out online.

Old school.

People believe Facebook is for social media. The real purpose of Facebook, is to gather interest from its user, for better laser targeting of its users for marketing by entrepreneur like myself. Set up a facebook page dealing with your group, or yourself, for promotion. Then go watch videos on how to get likes using the facebook Ads Manager, and Powereditor. Set up your ads to target those who like the type of music, a certain age, even gender. Once your page grows in likes, you will gain "Social Proof". Then create an ad to do the specific function of driving traffic to your site. Learn to create a good graphic in photoshop for the ad. The ad will run, and drive people to check out your music, or whatever link you use.
Now the catch: It costs time learning how to use the Facebook ads manager and power editor.
Then it costs to run ads. However, you set the budget, lets say $5 per day, or you can set it to $20 for a beginning and end date. You can pause the ads at anytime. Facebook will only use the money you set in the budget.
No go forth my minions, and use Facebook for what it was really designed for.

1) DO NOT SPAM - This is a very annoying and poor tactic to gain a fan base. Posting your music link in blogs, forums, etc. is actually hurting your brand rather than helping it.
2) Engage with other artists - Reach out to other artists. Give them feedback to what they did good or bad. Share their music around if you really like it. Don't cut them down but just try to help them grow as an artist. They will appreciate this gesture and more than likely will come check out your music as well and may even share your music as well. FREE PROMOTION!!!
3) Make good music - Even if you are engaging with others and giving good feedback and sharing their music, you have to make sure that you are putting out quality music as well. If you music lacks quality, then no one will like it and will pass on it. If you don't know how to mix or master your music, then hire that service out so that you can get your music crystal clear. Do not put out half down work too. I mean you can from time to time to get opinions on what you are currently working on but you want to always put out your best music.

Hope this helps you out. I myself used to just blast my links everywhere and wasn't seeing any results so I joined a group called GTS Movement that has really helped me gain perspective on how to engage and build up on my brand. I've been seeing results as well. Hit 200 followers on Twitter as of yesterday only being on it for a month and a half, 160+ followers on soundcloud, and closing in on 1300 total plays on my YouTube videos again only being on these social media platforms for a month and a half! Good luck!!!

Back