Is g.i.m.p a good tool for logo creation?

KonKossKang

Ozagas
I'm not expecting to draw stuff like jojo's bizarre adventure overnight or even in 3 years but i do want to be able to do stuff like this

anime_proportions.jpg

the path tool seems like it would make drawing easier.i can't draw but ive learned how to do decent feet on paper :/
Construct 2 and rpgmaker are pretty good and i have the whole backround music thing understood for the most part but drawing seems like it'll be the biggest obstacle for me.

I'd recommend Illustrator for logo creation bro, purely because it works in vector shapes (shapes that don't use pixels, and can be resized to any size) and is used for illustrations, as is implied by the name. It can be a bit of an arse to get your head around at the beginning, purely because vector shapes can be a ***** to work with at the start, but to create something such as in the image you posted should not be difficult at all using the pen tool as it automatically smoothes out your lines to make them look nice. All you need to do is drag that image into illlustrator and trace round it (if thats the exact image you want to replicate).

However, if you're considering doing maybe album artwork, either gimp or photoshop are the programs you want to be getting yourself. You can creater vector shapes in photoshop too but it is slightly more restricted with what you can actually do with them. I myself have never used gimp so can't really comment on it. I do however have a long experience with photoshop, and its a handy bit of kit if you know how to use it, and would be especially useful if you're thinking of doing an ep/album design.

Don't be daunted by not knowing anything about the softwares (if you don't) youtube is the place to go, it will teach you pretty much everything.

Hopefully I answered the right thing here. What is it exactly you are making a logo for if I may ask?

there are plenty of things i'd like to learn to draw but for now ima try the basics, already have feet down for the most part.

if i could learn how to draw that green bastard in my sig pic i'd probably be able to morph him into something new, but that would take years of learning since the detail in jojo bizarre adventure creator added tons of shit in his/her drawings :/

Well yeah being able to draw stuff like that won't happen overnight, but if it is something that you are passionate for you'll find the time to put into it to become good at it. I'd recommend learning to draw the characters by hand first, so come up with the b/w versions of the characters. Scan them into a computer, use illustrator to trace/draw the outlines of the character so you have the initial image. Once you have your b/w image completed, save the image as an .ai file and open it up in photoshop. Photoshop is a great tool for colouring in illustrations, you can add all the colour/final details and touches in photoshop. Those are the only 2 softwares you'll need. I mean there are other softwares out there that do similar things to these two, but if it were me making illustrations i'd use those two.

i tried photoshop and there's a guy called steveraybro he uses that too but i favor gimp.however for vectors it's...well the path tool...eh.
ima try out illus though later dudes

gimp/photoshop for general bitmap based art work or inkscape/illustrator for vector graphics (though both gimp and photoshop can handle limited vector based drawing)

gimp/inkscape are freeware

for doing 3d stuff maybe look at blender - you will probably have to learn python to do animation stuff but otherwise a very nice free tool

lol dont worry i already found blender and zbrush but ima have to attack those wayyyyy later.zspheres are so damn simple but the carving process after making a basic shape is impossible for me :/ that sucks nuts too, knowing exactly what a 3d object looks like but you just can't carve the bubbles to match it -_-

well at least i can stop whining about release dates since i understand the process behind such things.

Back