fx question

cartwheel1984

Hey all,

I have concentrated mainly on putting a song together, structure and theory etc and now I want to start adding fx into my songs.
im into house, progressive edm style music

wheres best place to start? What fx for over piano breakdowns? Wot fx do get used when building up your songs or just use a filter?
Do you use 2 fx at the same time to create new sounds? (Ie resonance n filter freq)
When to use delay? Is there a way keep delay in time with the beat?

I know iv asked lots of questions there but just curious about fx! I will be having a play around myself and try stuff out but thought id ask the question aswell!

Cheers

Hey all,

I have concentrated mainly on putting a song together, structure and theory etc and now I want to start adding fx into my songs.
im into house, progressive edm style music

wheres best place to start? What fx for over piano breakdowns? Wot fx do get used when building up your songs or just use a filter?
Do you use 2 fx at the same time to create new sounds? (Ie resonance n filter freq)
When to use delay? Is there a way keep delay in time with the beat?

I know iv asked lots of questions there but just curious about fx! I will be having a play around myself and try stuff out but thought id ask the question aswell!

Cheers

Best place to start- This is the hardest obstacle I think, there is SO much to learn its almost impossible to know where to start. Id just pick ONE effect, study it till u know it, then move on to the next one. But theres an infinite amount of ways you can go about this

Piano breakdowns - like EVERYTHING with effects, its subjective. Once you finish the above step and know more about effects youll know when and where to use them.. and that pretty much applies to the rest of your questions to. There is no "use this effect here and this effect here" just learn the effects and part of that will be learning or understanding where you can use them.

Start by looking up, in no order.
-Filtering techniques
-Delays(chorus, flangers, etc..)
-Reverbs
-Compression techniques for effects
-Gates
-White noise sweeps/rises, etcs..(for build ups)
-EQing (should have an EQ on EVERY track)

etc..but id start on these.

Last edited:
what type of fx do you hear on your favorite songs? that's what you should go with.. it's really no rules in music

Back