Fruity Loops getting started with instruments

AlysiumX

I like music, like a lot, specifically stuff like drum & bass and house music. Because of this I have decided to try my hand at creating music. So, I downloaded the demo of fruity loop, fired it up, spent a couple nights going through tutorials, looking around for information, getting a general idea of where to start.

One of the things I came across is that it seems to be really good experience to recreate some of your favorite songs. So I begin recreating something. I get the drums right, though it sounds off because I don't have the sounds the artist actually used in their song. This ends up being just a view of things to come because, while I get the bass to a reasonable state using the instruments provided, by the time I make it to the melody I can't seems to create anything that even comes close to the original sound. I looked into trying to find sample and free plugins, but can't find anything that's close that way either.(Maybe I am looking in the wrong places?)

I looked up some YouTube videos of artist creating music to see what they are using, and it keeps coming back to this nexus plugin. Upon reviewing that, it turns out to be $250, I still haven't bought fruity loops which another $100, and also a midi keyboard which is some other chunk of change. Seems like a real gamble to go buying all that stuff without knowing if it will actually pay off in the end, but yet it feels like if I don't, I will never have good sounds to make my music with. So, I guess my question is, how do you deal with this?

Thanks

The thing about music is you shouldnt get into it if all you want is commercial success because there is so much music out there millions of new "producers" start making music every year only to have there equipment on ebay the next. you have to do this because you genuinely love making music and would be doing it if you had a regular 9 to 5 job. When you're just starting out it feels like a daunting task you see artists online with all these plugins and equip and think I'll never be able to make music like they do with out this or that and the people who make plugins and midi keyboards depend on this because thats what pays the bills. every year they want to sell you the next greatest piece of production software or plugin or midi keyboard. The truth is you don't need it. I feel into that trap and quickly spent $15,000 on studio equipment and software. I don't regret it because i still have most of it and i love to make sounds and songs no body else is listening to because I made them.

well if your just starting you dont need to buy a midi keyboard cus with fl studio you can use your computer keyboard as a midi controller.Nexus has a decent library but creating your own sound is better IMO.
i suggest you get a free copy of FL from some torrent site and there are already loads of vsts to get you started.
buy a legit FL studio when you got the hang of it.

If you're buying it with the hopes that its going to 'pay off' at least have some sort of plan or know what you're going to be doing to make it pay off. Going into it blind just assuming youll learn everything is gonna cause you to quit pretty soon. How soon do you want it to 'pay off'? Because the truth is it probably won't. So dont buy it because of that. You have to wanna spend your money on audio stuff, considering it an investment is just bad investing. Not to say it won't pay off for sure, but it's still a bad 'investment' in the way that your thinking.

This hobby costs are actually cheaper than what people had back then. I mean even now software and controllers are fractions of the older asking prices. reason is the same price as an mpc, some daws are double that though.
Running out of sounds, not possible. running out of sounds you like, prolly true.
But that's where learning synthesis and sampling comes into play.
You have fl studio. which means you have access to two flexible synths.sytrus and harmor.

This hobby costs are actually cheaper than what people had back then. I mean even now software and controllers are fractions of the older asking prices. reason is the same price as an mpc, some daws are double that though.
Running out of sounds, not possible. running out of sounds you like, prolly true.
But that's where learning synthesis and sampling comes into play.
You have fl studio. which means you have access to two flexible synths.sytrus and harmor.

a hell of a lot cheaper..but its pretty easy to get sucked into a spending hole still haha.

Youll never regret buying good monitors though. I was sick about what i paid for my monitors when i purchased them..but i couldn't imagine having bought cheaper ones after using mine so much. Totally worth it..dont cheap out on stuff you dont wanna replace later. Ends up costing more. There will always be new plugins coming, spend your money on quality hardware and just shop cheap plugins. IMO anyway.

Last edited:
My friend Ill make this easy for you:Torrent everything you need. I've bought some things like my Midi controller, and some preset packs, but if you can't afford all those vsts, you know what to do on google.

Although I'd advise kool not to word it like that but yeah, yumid and him are correct.
It's...a better idea to just 'demo' a lot of software and play with all the stuff in them before going through with any of that.
used reason 5 for three years so my excuse was gone when 8 came out.

you can do all the same things in freeware but the presets would make you think otherwise.
yumid's probably right but my eris speakers will be enough for me, I'm just a casual brah.
He's correct, hardware's gonna matter more. especially ram and processor. audio interface worth it.

AH, also forgot don't get xyz because abc uses it lol that's another one. I used to think nexus was necessary but only get that type of plugin if you actually like the plugin for actual reasons other than presets :O

Last edited:
Back