FP, I need your help on this purchase... like.. asap (tonight? 9/18)

CPhoenix

CharlesAllen/ BMR Studios
FP..

I've been given the green light tonight to use $300 of my BillMeLater on eBay to upgrade a portion of my studio lol. (Green light by the wife that is... married men, you know how important this is.) Now is a great time for me to upgrade since my son is 6 weeks old and I literally have no time for music anyway until he's a little bit older and not as demanding 24/7. If I upgrade now... i can have time to set up shop, and then go to town when he's older.

So.... this is a tough decision needless to say. I know exactly what options I want to add to my setup... but I just can't decide on one. I don't know what I want the most.

Just as some background for you.. I do a little bit of everything... which is what's making this so hard. On the recording side of things.. I record myself and other artists/poets/singers. I produce.. and am always looking for a nice instrument... and I mix semi-pro songs for clients and myself of course.

Here's my list:
Yamaha HS50m pair (or JBL LSR 2325 even?)
Korg Kaossilator Pro
AKG c214
SM7b
FMR RNC

All of these fall within my $300 budget.

Yams
- I've been craving these for a minute. It's all in the mix right? My MAudio BX5s are bass heavy... and i've been trying to either ditch them... or keep them as reference speakers (which I think i really want to do... this i'm sure i could still use them to spot check mixes on). The Yams are right up my alley b/c I want an accurate representation of what I'm listening to. And I honestly just don't get that w/ the BX5's. I never really TRULY know what my music sounds like when i'm mixing... until i do 100 spot checks on different systems. This would probably be the smartest choice for me.

Kaossilator Pro
- I'v been joensing for this. I love new toys when i'm producing music, and lately i've had an itch to add something like this. I see peopel getting reeall creative on it. This purchase is my sexy choice. I have a big crush on this unit lol... I wanna see what I could do w/ one, and how I could improve my production with it.

AKG c214 or SM7b
- I've been wanting to upgrade my mic for a minute. Could this be my opportunity?!?! I currently own an AKG Perception 120 and a StudioProjects VTB1 (and Echo AF4 stock preamps). I guess since I can't afford a realy good high-gain preamp that kinda throws the SM7b out of the running for now huh? So... should I grab the AKG c214? Will I be so happy with the improvement in sound that i'll forgot about now getting the Yams or the Kaossilator Pro?

FMR RNC
- I've been itching for an outboard compressor to add a slight tough of compression going into my signal chain. However... I don't know if I should throw it after the VTB honestly.. b/c i'm starting to use the AF4's stock preamps more. Should I loop the audio out of my DAW, into this compressor, and then back in? Will I be happy w/ that?

Ahhh... this post is helping my narrow down my list a little bit as I type it.... i think i'm stuck btw the Yams, the Kaossilator Pro, and the C214 mic.

This is tough.... anybody wanna make this decision for me? haha.

.... another option is for me to sell the MAudio BX5's and put that money towards one of these items. I dunno if I want to do that... i kinda want to keep em as the reference monitors if I get the Yams.

FP! Help!

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

and on second thought.... the BX5s are not on my vision board. So perhaps I should sell them and try to get 2 things on this list. Ahh... I just.. don't... know.

What piece to you feel you need the MOST (as in filling a void for something that you don't have another piece doing that job)?

^ that would be the Yams. From that point of view... the value would be greatest here, since I'd get the better accuracy. SOftware can of course do what the Kaossilator does, but it just loks like so much fun. I think i'm content enough w/ the mic to delay that purchase and continue getting a good mix to let the vocals shine though. More work but.. the monitors should help here.

Ahhh... think i'm going for the Kaossilator and Yams. Grab the Korg first for excitement, sell the BX5s since I don't see them in my future, and when that sale goes thru grab the Yams.

Yea, I say go for the Kaoss. Especially with not having much free time. It will def be something to play with for the time being when you have small gaps of free time.

btw congrats on the little one. :cheers:

Thanks man.

Yeah.. I went ahead and got the Korg lol. Also snagged an SM57 w/ the left over money, which was nice.

Now just gotta sell off the MAudio BX5s and swap for the Yams! Also selling off the MPD18 w/ upgraded pads... gonna sidegrade to the Korg PadKontrol.

Lastly... if I can sell off this Behringer DDX3216 and digi 002rack, and a few other small items, i'm hoping i can grab the Grace M101 and the AKG214. If I can.... i'll be done for the year, til i get afford to upgrade the computer to the new Intels.

Back