FL Studio Tutorial: Creating Your Own Sounds

bobsmitt

SHAMELESS PLUG:
For sounds, samples, tutorials, beat videos and more! Check out my blog at smileybeats.blogspot.com

So you want to get into creating your own sounds? Well you've come to the right place! In this tutorial, i will explain how to create your own sounds using FL Studio. All the stuff i will be using (sounds, effects, etc) is included in FL Studio (I'm using FL7 but it should be the same in 6)

I would appreciate it if anyone who reads this (beginners and experts alike) could give me some feedback because maybe i will do some more of these but anything people want me to improve upon on this one would be appreciated. You can pm/im me to give me ideas on what to do (this one is from a fper actually, shout out to MizzoM).

NOTE: This tutorial is intended for beginners so i apologize if people reading this are offended by the simplicity of this tutorial but i tried to break it down for those who don't fully understand FL as others who might be curious about learning sound design.

Step 1: Get the sounds

So i'm going to be getting a basic kick that comes with FL called the DNC_Kick. You can find it in Packs>Dance>DNC_Kick
1.jpg

Step 2: Putting the sound into the mixer

So with this kick i'm using i like the low end of the kick but i don't like the hi sound that is there too, so what

i'm going to do is put the Kick into a mixer channel and cut off the highs and mids of the sound. This is done by

left clicking the kick in the step sequencer and then going to the menu that appears and changing the FX to '1'
2.jpg

Step 3: Adding effects to the sound

Now that you have the sound in a mixer channel you can add an EQ (Open the mixer by pressing F9). Normally i would

use the basic Equalizer for things like this but since it only has 3 sliders and i want to completly cut the mids

and highs out, i'm going to load in a Fruity Parametric EQ instead so i can have more control over the frequencies

i change. This is done by by clicking the gray button in the right section of the mixer in the 1 slot (NOTE: MAKE

SURE INSERT 1 IS SELCTED SO YOU ADD THE EQ TO THE KICK).
3.jpg

Step 4: Adding effects to the sound [Part 2]

We've opened the Parametric EQ and it's time to use the sliders to change the kick we loaded in. Using the

Parametric EQ i increased the last two sliders on the left (Lows) and turned all the sliders down on the left and

middle (highs and mids respectivly). Listen to the difference in the kick. Try putting the kick on one beat in the

step sequencer and toggle the FX button on and off of Insert 1 (see picture) to see the changes we've made.
4.jpg

Step 5: Filling out the sound

We've made a nice bassy kick but it lacks mids and highs so i'm going to take another drum (Packs>Hip

Hop>Hip_Kick_5) to fill out the sound we are creating. I threw the Hip_Kick to a the Insert 2 (See step 2) and used

the sliders in the mixer to boost the highs and mids a little.
5.jpg

TADA! You have sucessfully created a new drum sound. All you need to do is export the file (in Wav format, don't

use mp3 for drums) Of course, you could go into even more detail with other effects and layering more sounds or

whatever. There's no one way of creating your own sounds but i've just tried to demonstrate one. I've attached the

project file and the drum sound i've created so you can see what i made and check the project to look at exactly

what i did in the tutorial. I hope people don't just "steal" the sound i made and dont learn from the tutorial.

If you have any questions about this or other FL related stuff, you can PM me or IM me @ Atariwedges.

Last edited:
other tricks such as pitchbend, portamento, lfo can do crazy stuff too. octaving and chording also changes a sound too

rayzer said:
other tricks such as pitchbend, portamento, lfo can do crazy stuff too. octaving and chording also changes a sound too
yeah. i wasn't trying to say this is the only way but i was more just giving some basic tips that u will use alot when making sounds but there are tons of crazy things you can do like you said in your post.

Technically your not creating a new sound, your just processing an existing one.

But anyway I think it will be useful to some.

BTW the image editing is a bit sloppy, I can help you there if you need it.

Its cool that although it might not be creating a new sound you're still helping folks out that aren't familiar with FL so keep the tutorials coming.

Back