FL Studio: How do you change the tempo of your instrument independently?

iJackPot

So I'm making this beat and when I start I came up with a bell melody I like. It started off as a good trap style sound. The tempo is at 130. Now I want to fit drums around this melody but I dont know how to record my drums in a different tempo. More hip hop tempo but everytime I try to change the tempo for the drums the melody is slower/faster. How can I change the tempo independently from each other?

Thanks in advance!!!

1) you can't really have independent tempi for different parts of your track
2) you need to change your perception of the tempo to being half time
3) to do this you need to use smaller grid settings such as 64ths instead of 32nds - this will give you the sense of playing at 65bpm

i.e. the melody may well flow by at 130bpm but your drums want to sit at 65bpm:

major hit points for your drums now become

kicks on 1 (with decorations wherever you want them)
snares on 3 (with decorations wherever you want them)
hats an 1,2,3,4 (with decorations wherever you want them)

It depends if you are just trying to do half time drums, in that case use the info Bandcoach gave you, but i suspect that you may have recorded or programmed your bell melody without using the metronome and it ended up off beat to the metronome tempo and now the drums dont sit right. You will have to re-do your bell melody if this is the case.

When you record anything, always make sure the metronome is on so everything will be sitting right. If your drums sound correct but only too fast, you need to use half as many drum hits like Bandcoach is talking about.

Last edited:
3) to do this you need to use smaller grid settings such as 64ths instead of 32nds - this will give you the sense of playing at 65bpm

What exactly are decorations? just wondering I tried googling it and nothing came up.

anything that is not on the beat played on the indicated instruments is a decoration of the standard kick snare kick snare pattern

you need to zoom in so that you get more grid lines showing and then select your snap to be "line"

64ths = 16 grid lines for 1 quarter note or 64 grid lines for 1 bar

the values 1/6 etc are for grid snapping not for grid resolution

Thanks bandcoach,

I just copy and paste the melody to a new project with the tempo that I wanted and then slowly fixed the melody to the new tempo

Do keep in mind that stretching a low samplerate file [48khz<] will let you stretch it less.
Midi isn't affected by it at all unless they're samples.

And with that, good luck :p

You got a video for what your explaining?

Back