Finally Determined To Start Producing

K

kurtb14

Hello my name is kurt im 22 from sydney australia. Since before i can remember i have been in love with music, hip hop has played a major part in my life since i was around 10. It started off with eminem and now i have gotten into all era's of hip hop. My current playlist at the moment mainly consists of in some sort of order, Q-tip/A Tribe Called Quest, 2pac, Jay-Z, eminem(mainly old school slim), snoop, dre, kurup and the rest of DPG, beastie boys, Too Short, NAS, i could keep going on but this is generally the style(s) i like and i really love dirty raw rap music like most of the beats in the rap battles in 8 mile. I also, usually on weekends get down to heaps of dance music, mainly dirty deep prog house, dub, trap etc.

Anyways thats a brief look on the styles i would want to corporate into the music i want to produce for my own ear drums. So i joined this other forum, did some searching on it and it seemed legit and good, made a post and it didnt show up so i didnt some more searching and stumbled across future producers, seems more active and helpful so i wish to join this and be a long time member and progress using these forums.

As for experience with music production, i dont have a lot, i have always wanted to write my own lyrics, but before i can do that i want to make my own music i can put my own lyrics too. So i have a MIDI keyboard (Edirol PCR-50), Probably not the best keyboard but its a start, i used to know keyboard, during primary but havent really played lately. So i found this site pianonanny.com, only just had a quick browse through step one and it looks half decent so if anyone has any recommendations as to where to learn keyboard i would appreciate it. I believe it would be best if i learnt piano before getting to into ableton, which is the program i have tampered with over the last 4 years with no progress at all (i only ever end up making a drum pattern then try mess around with a synth (minimoog) and i end up getting bored and leaving it for another month or two) im really lazy and finally am ready to try and reach my goals, thats why im trying to find a forum i can commit too. Sooooo, i understand i have been rambling on a lot and i have a million questions when i am using ableton which i only encounter in specific scenarios. I even struggle to figure out how to get a loop in sequence and bars and im very illiterate when it comes to producing and flow and melody.

PLEASE HELP ME FUTUREPRODUCER!!
i will be forever happy if i can make music thing makes me happy, hopefully my two children will enjoy it too! If this is in the wrong section please let me know cheers! There is plenty more i can explain i just dont want to make this post too long, if u see i am missing something please let me know. I just dont know where to start!

thanks
kurt

Hi and welcome to FP! At the moment I'm on the bus to work, so I'll keep it short. What do you mean by not being able to get a loop in sequence and bars? Also learning how to play the keyboard is not a requirement to get to know Ableton. Sounds to me like in your case you'd benefit more from one than the other right now. The midi keyboard is a tool to make it easier and even better to make music, your DAW is also a tool you are going to want to get real up close and personal with. Also being lazy is not going to work here, at least from my experience. At times, long and frustrating sessions doing monotone tasks and fine tuning and researching and experimenting. And then there are those moments of actual inspiration and creation which makes it all worth it.

Start off by reading the Ableton Live 9 manual (I assume that's what you are using). I know it's long and tedious, but do that at least once, then you can always go back to it for reference when you are wondering something. I use Ableton myself so if you don't want to start a new thread for every single little question about it you can always send a pm.

Thanks for the fast reply Wallengard, im not so much as lazy but more ignorant i suppose, but thats not the case anymore now i have more time on my hands i know i can succeed i just gotta put time into it! Everytime i listen to music (20 different times a day lol) i get inspiration and usually get negative thoughts but i gotta brush those thoughts and be positive. I have used the interactive help within live but its not too much use to me, i dont like using loops, although it would probably be a good way to start, im not sure. the reference with bars and all that was said wrong, i meant to say that like i have no natural rhythm and putting a good melody into a song and making it match up with the drum beat and bassline and all other aspects, which i havent gotten into.
Anyway ill search google for a copy of the manual so i can read it better and then ill do some tampering and get back to you, most likely very soon. Thanks very much

I probably wouldn't want to get used to using loops this early on, I think it's easy to get stuck there and then what you will end up doing is browse through hundreds of loops, trying to make something fit. I'd start making own from scratch using one hit samples, then you can slip and dice parts of loops and implement them into your own beats where needed.

You should study your favorite track structures and analyse what they are actually doing in them I'm sure most songs can be broken up into sections and parts that are then combines together and altered slightly to get things moving. You can also read up a little on the subject. The book "music theory for computer musicians" is a good start and has some info about rhythm and stuff like that as well, which might be well worth reading.

I can just say you ''Welcome!'' because I have never liked ableton, lol. Keep going with making music, and do it because you love it and enjoy it, otherwise you will soon get bored.

When I first started out I started with sampling then loop packs. Once you get to know your DAW then you can start trying to put your own chord progressions and melodies together. Studying music theory helps a bunch so you can actually understand how to put chords together. Just remember that no matter how long you've been doing it, you can always get better, so always keep learning! Have fun bro

Back