few questions, i get hyped im going back to this!

DavidJofficial

hi guys, i was gone from this for a month or smth i still practic with fl studio but not mutch now im realy hyped up i rly like to pruduce but im lazy so i never practice a lot.. but now im realy want to do it!
Okey so i have problems like find a good claps kick that works for me , i basicly random them from my free packs i find in internet :D how do u find your own drums?
And i have problem with a bass, i cant find good i cant layer it good.. How do make a good bass to work for tracks?
And about melody, i know melody dont have rules, but i cant create good melody its my - sometimes i find a good once but its just not working i dont finish it, i make good start for melody its sounds nice but when its comes to full melody i broke i do atleast half melody and then cant finish it and then i delete it and start new..

Here's the issue:

We don't know what you think is 'good'.
All music is 'good' in some way, and bad in other ways, so we can't help you unless you are going to be more specific about what kind of sounds you like.

Only advice I can give you it lots of people find learning music theory helps them write melodies.

That still doesn't help... what kind of EDM? There are so many different sub-genres...

Do you want blawan-style subby techno kicks? Minimal 808 sine wave kicks? Processed break samples like in oldskool jungle? Really really distorted spectrum-filling hardstyle kicks? Loudness-war-winning Skrillex kicks?

I could go on but you get the point

I usually use a mixture of kicks depending on the track. They're all comprising of several kick sounds (taken from both found samples and NI packs generally) layered together. Same story with snares.
I have 4 main 'kits' built like this - that are used in around 70% of my current work stream.
Each 'kit' comprises of 3 to 4 different kicks (clicky, thumpy, thuddy) and snares (long/sloppy, short/tight, deep or cutting etc) and a set of hi-hats (closed, openish, more openish - 3 separate sounds - on separate pads) and a ride cymbal (often linked to the kick) that complement each other. The differences in kicks is usually quite subtle so as to be fairly interchangeable; less so with the snares.
Hi-hats are always set-up on their own choke group (so each strike kills the last tail).

Other percussive sounds are chosen on their merit, track dependent and sit on a different group (Maschine workflow)

Recently I bought an old Korg ER-1 (MKII) so my kicks for the last couple weeks have come from that. I suspect I'll be using more R2-D2 type sounds with it in the longterm though.

Download Propellerheads ReBirth RB-338 it emulates 808, 909 and 303 and the best: it's free. With ReBirth you can build your own drum samples (and also simple bass lines) this is faster than digging thousands of samples and spending hours to find the 'right one'.

Back