A Few Questions

Qukslice

Hello everyone. I'm an aspiring musician who wants to make EDM. But, I have a few questions that I want answered so I don't go off in the wrong direction and make a career crippling mistake.

First, is it necessary to have a studio or studio-like environment to create good sounding music? In the current state of my room, it would need some serious overhauls before it could work out if that is the case.

Second, where could I find good, clean, samples that I could use to make good beats? I don't want to snip a random snare
from a terrible site and have it screw over the rest of the song due to lack of better options.

Third, is FL studio a good DAW to start off with? Obviously, a bad DAW means you'll have a bad song and due to my lack of better knowledge, I don't know any DAWs that I could pick up easily.

Fourth, what are some trusted sites that I could use to learn more about music theory, cables, effects, and so on and so forth?

And finally, what sort of speakers/headphones should I be aiming for? Currently, I have Beyution headphones with a 40mm drivers and 20Hz to 20kHz and they say that it has 64 ohms impedance even thought I'm doubting that. It also has noise block out and it's sensitivity is 119 dB's at 1 kHz.

Thank you for reading and I hope you reply soon,
Qukslice

First, is it necessary to have a studio or studio-like environment to create good sounding music? In the current state of my room, it would need some serious overhauls before it could work out if that is the case.[/url]

No. Pretty much everyone nowadays will start out from modest bedroom setups, and maybe slowly build something a bit nicer. People with actual built-to-spec studios are few and far between. The acoustics do affect your mixes, but even a shitty room shouldn't stop you - it's just more work and more referencing on other setups to get a good mix.

Second, where could I find good, clean, samples that I could use to make good beats? I don't want to snip a random snare
from a terrible site and have it screw over the rest of the song due to lack of better options.

Well, drum samples are everywhere - and even though "clean samples" will probably be easier to get nice and easy results with, a skilled person can probably turn just about anything to his/hers advantage. A "random snare from a terrible site" won't magically f*ck over your song unless you use it the wrong way.

Third, is FL studio a good DAW to start off with? Obviously, a bad DAW means you'll have a bad song and due to my lack of better knowledge, I don't know any DAWs that I could pick up easily.

Pretty much every DAW on the market is just as good as the person using it. Yes, FL is a decent choice.

Fourth, what are some trusted sites that I could use to learn more about music theory, cables, effects, and so on and so forth?

This is a pretty good site :) But do ask some more specific questions. There are lots of knowledgeable people around.

And finally, what sort of speakers/headphones should I be aiming for? Currently, I have Beyution headphones with a 40mm drivers and 20Hz to 20kHz and they say that it has 64 ohms impedance even thought I'm doubting that. It also has noise block out and it's sensitivity is 119 dB's at 1 kHz.

The thing is that those specs say very little about how they actually sound like ($20 Beats-look-a-likes are hardly going to have a flat 20Hz-20kHz frequency response, for example). I guess the best thing to do is simply to look up some reviews for headphones and speakers from respectable sites like, say, Sound On Sound or TapeOp. I could drop some names, but given that both headphones and speakers can go from the very cheap to multiple thousand dollars, it's a bit pointless without any idea about what kind of money you're willing to spend at this point. If you're serious, monitoring is the single most important thing in the sense that it's what represents your sound to your ears. If it sucks...well, you won't really know how your mixes sound like.

Back