Favourite EQ plugins

M

mkamsi

Hi everyone,
What are your favorite EQ plugins that you usually use in every Mix. Also can u describe which one you use where(like on guitars, vocals or somewhere else).

I really liked Fabfilter Pro-Q when I tried the demo but to me the stock EQ for my DAW is good enough to where a small upgrade for 200 dollars is just not worth it. Most DAWs have pretty competent base plugins now.

I really liked Fabfilter Pro-Q when I tried the demo but to me the stock EQ for my DAW is good enough to where a small upgrade for 200 dollars is just not worth it. Most DAWs have pretty competent base plugins now.

Its 200 bucks because they want you to buy the bundle.

You cant go wrong with value buying the full fabfilter bundle with a student discount. I love Pro Q, i wouldnt be able to live without my 24 bands. Im big on tons of narrow deep cuts rather than all this cutting a third of the spectrum stuff I see on youtube.

Different EQs give different output in terms of sonic character ??

Different EQs give different output in terms of sonic character ??

Yah, but not enough to think too much about it. And I dont even know if id go as far as saying sonically(if that even makes sense). The difference would probably be subconscious or barely noticeable.

Goes more with graphic EQs but defiantly still applies to regular EQs since it all depends on the internal algorithms.

Last edited:
Yah, but not enough to think too much about it. And I dont even know if id go as far as saying sonically(if that even makes sense). The difference would probably be subconscious or barely noticeable.

Goes more with graphic EQs but defiantly still applies to regular EQs since it all depends on the internal algorithms.
why more graphic EQs . can u explain ?

Fruity Parametric EQ 2 - DAW stock plugin. I like to keep it simple and rely on my knowledge than on any "fancy" plugin.

Fruity Parametric EQ 2 - DAW stock plugin. I like to keep it simple and rely on my knowledge than on any "fancy" plugin.
You mean theres not much difference in the hardware emulation EQs as compared to stock plugins?

My favorite EQs are made by PSP Audioware and IK Multimedia. I own licenses to all of their EQs and use them regularly. Below is a list, in no specific order, of the ones I use most often:

* PSP McQ
* PSP NobleQex
* PSP ClassicQex
* IK T-RackS EQ 81
* IK T-RackS Master EQ 432
* IK T-RackS EQ PA

Last edited:
why more graphic EQs . can u explain ?

Graphic EQs have no adjustable Q value. You just turn up the band gain or turn it down based on whichever knob that frequency represents and you get what you get. The Q value adjusts as you go. By graphic EQ i dont mean a frequency analyzing EQ.. A graphic EQ is an EQ where you just have a number of up or down dials representing a frequency. Used a lot on hardware EQs old school EQs where everything just 'trusts' the Q value because they're so timeless.

You mean theres not much difference in the hardware emulation EQs as compared to stock plugins?

Sure there is a difference as hardware emulations involve tube or tape emulations or similar to color the sound.
But I like to see the EQ as a tool to shape the tone of a sound so it sits better in a mix or give it a stronger signature - not some kind of magical plugin that will instantly add richness to your sound or "take it to the next level".
If I want some hardware emulations I could just add a dedicated tape or tube emulator or something similar in the plugin chain. EQ's are for EQing.

The only situations where I probably would use a little heavier EQ than the stock plugin, would be when I master a track so it's linear phase, or when I need to EQ the mid/side or left/right individually. But this rarely happens, and there are free plugins that do this very well.

Back