Is Facebook really necessary?

erixounds

erixounds
So...I literally have zero friends that use facebook. Is it really necessary? If it really is and you happen to like my music, please add me! Let's like the shit out of eachother's pages lol. My facebook name is Gamey Winehouse. My music page is Erixounds.

In the age of the internet unfortunately Facebook is pretty much the norm. There's a way you can set up an account to only have followers though so that way you don't have to worry about all those pesky "posts" that your so called "friends" like to share lol.

Facebook in the age of promoters having very little money to actually promote anything is pretty indispensable, as you can see what works, what doesn't and target your marketing efforts accordingly. And you can make do with very small amounts of money (if you're realistic with your expectations). Of course targeted marketing in other social media channels is also well possible & worth doing, but I don't think anything's quite as ubiquitous as FB.

Of course, "liking each others pages" is, well, a circle jerk. Just having a bunch of likes doesn't mean anything as such, it's what you do and how you interact with the audience you've built.

Circlejerks don't really help anyone as a producer unless one of the producers is actually famous.

Using facebook to keep your friends and family updated on your music is probably a good thing to do, but if they don't use it...

Also, it's nice to be able to point people you meet towards your facebook- not many people who aren't musicians have soundcloud so you can reach more people with facebook

Back