extracting vocals for remix?

C

Cleetace

whats up ppl. i want to extract vocals from a song. or rather, remove all other sounds from a song. anyone know of a program or technique for ending up with just the vocals and removing all other frequencies from an audio file? What i am trying to accomplish is to pull a clean vocal from a post-production song for use with my own beats. thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK
Short Answer: It can't be done.

Long Answer: You can remove a substantial amount of the track but will never remove all traces of the original track. Firstly if you take the track and run it in Wavelab (for example) you can use the MS plugin (Middle & side) split so that on one speaker you will have what was panned to the sides and from the other speaker you will now have what was in the centre of the stereo field. This is because 9 times out of ten the vocal is panned to the centre and guitars & synths normally are panned around a bit either left or right. OK so now you've probably got the vocal and the bass together. Bass is usually panned centrally coz low frequency sounds impart very little spatial information and thus they get stuck in the centre with the vocal. Anyway... using some EQ you should be able to remove a substantial amount of the bass leaving the vocal clean (ish). However, much of the time the kick and snare drums are pretty central too and they will "leak" into the vocal you want. Sorry mate but that's just the way things are. You can get very clever with EQ & filters but at the end of the day it'll never be clean - or clean enough to use on it's own without other things in your mix to cover them up.

Best of luck

MM

I couldn't say it better. Only adding that Carnage is looking for a decent solution.

well
i've had some practice at explaing this, especially here recently... is there anyway or anywhere to make this kind of info "sticky" like a "FAQ" or is there no point coz everyone will just ignore it and just ask the same questions anyway? There should be a page that has to be clicked or authorized b4 people can post that carries all this info!

:)

MM

ps good luck to Carnage - he'll need it.

damn. so there's no plug in where you just click one button, and POOF! huh. I knew it would be a process. I'll give it a shot. I was hoping to end up with a more clean vocal. right on. thanks. ill give it a shot.

good explanation messyman.

good attitude Cleetace.

good chained ellipses Carnage.

0641.gif

Dr. G said:
There is another method of sample inversion using the instrumental to extract the vocals

Yep, that's negative imprinting. However, the instrumental woukld have to be an identical mix of the one with the vocals so as to get a true extraction.
Efx, pans, dynamics etc. all play a part in hindering this process and the biggest obstacle is one of absolute sync.

OK
Short Answer: It can't be done.

Long Answer: You can remove a substantial amount of the track but will never remove all traces of the original track. Firstly if you take the track and run it in Wavelab (for example) you can use the MS plugin (Middle & side) split so that on one speaker you will have what was panned to the sides and from the other speaker you will now have what was in the centre of the stereo field. This is because 9 times out of ten the vocal is panned to the centre and guitars & synths normally are panned around a bit either left or right. OK so now you've probably got the vocal and the bass together. Bass is usually panned centrally coz low frequency sounds impart very little spatial information and thus they get stuck in the centre with the vocal. Anyway... using some EQ you should be able to remove a substantial amount of the bass leaving the vocal clean (ish). However, much of the time the kick and snare drums are pretty central too and they will "leak" into the vocal you want. Sorry mate but that's just the way things are. You can get very clever with EQ & filters but at the end of the day it'll never be clean - or clean enough to use on it's own without other things in your mix to cover them up.

Best of luck

MM

When i listen to acepellas, i usually here the rest of the song faintly in the background. Probably peeps are using your method or one thats similar. Either way it works. I'll give it a try, thanks.
w00t.gif

yea, u cant. but u can download a acapella of that song. but if u cant find it there is anotha solution. go to your car. if u have a nice mp3 player u could find there some equalizer options. and i dont kno exactly what have i done (i dont bother myself about it) but i have turned the volume of tha beat down, and volume of vocals up. u could still hear tha beat, but like 80% quieter. i dont kno if this can help you, but if u make same drum kit on your beat (wit same tempo as original), so that it covers tha mentioned beat, you could come up with something good.

the progress is just like messyman said.
the finished product is called a DIY acapella.
you can google it and you will notice that the result is never perfect. if you want a high quality remix you will have to look for studio acapellas...

Would this work?

ok, so to do the whole phase cancellation type thing you need the full track plus the track minus the vocals but the instrumental needs to be the exact same mix but without the part you want to extract, right?

So, is there anything to stop you from taking the full mix, running it through one of the many plug-ins that remove the vocals to make karaoke versions, re-saving as a different file and using that as the instrumental?

Also, do you just need to play the 2 mixes at the exact same time to isolate the part or do you need to modify one of the tracks. Inverting the wave, for example.

Thank you audio-boffins in advance for your help.

Im not sure but Celemony melodyne with direct access and try to separete vocal there . You can extract even single instrument from mixed track . Check out Youtube for videos

Back