Experienced trap guys. Need hi hat advice please!

Rolleyon407

Hey yall new here. Been making beats for a few years now. Pretty happy with my tracks so far. The only things is the closed hats. I'm cool with my patterns. I know how to roll and change between tc's (16ths/ 16th Triplets) I just Can't get that bounce going. And I feel like I have good samples. I Use mpc studio in logic x. I've tried ....

Velocities: down beat 127 , every other hat lower and so forth

Tried cutting of the decay like I've read online

Alternating pitch

Monophonic mode

Nudging forward and back.

Been noticing a lot of producers with hats on point are using FL studio. anything to do with it?

I'd appreciate any hep guys. Gettin desperate over here lol

I don't make a lot of trap, and when i do I feel like my patterns are off too. I've always assumed it's the pattern like Rekordhead says. And not just the hi-hat pattern.. But the entire pattern (kick/snare/hats/percs) and how they all interact to make that bounce.

specific genre/style of hats would help us help you

without knowing however, I'm going to go for two things

1) fl users are probably using pattern swing which forces the even numbered 16ths to be more like 16 triplets

2) you are trying to do the same without actually swinging or using 16th triplets hence your despair

3) your first hit velocity gives you nowhere to go when you actually need a hard hit.
think of this velocity value as you absolute maximum level rather than your starting point
start at 100 and make others lower of higher
save 127 for big hits

Back