Experienced advice needed please!

S

stealthy21

£4000 to spend Experienced advice needed please!

Myself and a few colleagues are looking to set up a studio to teach a few young people music.(obviously we will need to be trained first!). we have a space and £4000-5000.

I have had a couple of quotes and ideas one is for a powermac with logic 7 and speakers, mics etc. When i asked the guy in the shop about sound modules and mpc's etc. he said logic 7 was all you need these days.

i have a bit of experience using reason 2 and cubase vst but found the sounds not too proffesional and limited although it was just a standard pc and reason 2 and i am not very experienced.

ps i have tried searching for what equipment to buy b4 posting this... lol
We need to spend the money within the next few weeks.

Any ideas would be much appreciated?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest you try to find a consultanting company in your area . I am from the US so I can not suggest one .

With what you are trying to do , this is not the best place to get your info .

They have businesses that sell , set up , and support the equipment/software .

Good luck !!

I should also add that they sell academic versions of a lot of software packages . They are about half the price of the regular versions with all the features .

Hi that was a qiuck reply!
there are no cosulting companies over here that i know of.

i just wanted some opinions on what software and hardware i could get with the money. Do you think The Logic 7 is a sensible choice? If you had around 9000 usd personally what would you buy the main kind of music we would be producing is Hip hop and garage e.g. dizzee rascal.

Peace

just the one station for now to start we will only have three students.

Cubase or any software sequencer out there is pretty useless without good equipment to use the sequencer with.

I would recommend a keyboard workstation of your choice, a keyboard midi controller, and a couple of modules with a few expansions.

There's always the obvious Triton, Motif, and Fantom but it'd be good to look up Emu, Kurzweil, and other manufacturer products.

The mixing console will depend on how many inputs you need total plus a few extra ones to give you some expansion room.

Monitors and mics are up to taste really. I generally don't many recommendations in that department.

Do you want a lot of hardware or plan on doing it mainly in the computer ?

I have not used Logic 7 . I am a PC/NUENDO guy .

You will need a good auido/MIDI interface , monitors , a couple of mics/pres as well as a sequencer of your choice . You will want some kind of MIDI keyboard/controller if you go the software route too . I do not know much about Logic but if it does not come with a sampler I would get something like Kontakt so you can have tons of sounds to choose from .

That is just the basics .

There are to many variables .

Check this out - http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

hi
sleepy thanks for your reply
So are saying that the logic 7 is no good without sound modules see thats what i thought. we went to get the qoute today from a digital store it came to around £5000 icluding logic 7, a dual 1.8 power mac g5 ,2 condenser mics £140 each, and monitors £650 , and a weighted key midi controller £400 and the guy told us that there were sufficient sounds and instruments included with logic 7. do you think we should get a mac or a pc? and what do you think of pro tools?

Respect

in response to erbium
thanks for the link.
it does have a sampler. and you are right i know there are too many variables! lol

Sorry, I didn't mean exactly that. I believe Logic comes with a few soft synthezisers. So these can produce pretty good sounds as it is.

Personally I find that when teaching people how to use programs or to make music a sound module works out a little easier. With software or hardware synths you'd also have to teach people what each parameter does. It's up to you whether you want to spend the time on that. I'd say it's good to have a synth or a few but I'd recommend some sound modules.

So you can definitely do with logic but I'd recommend at least 1 sound module. It's good to have something ready to go when you have an idea and want to lay something down quick.

thanks a lot for your help i really appreciate it.

i will study the guide and check out some sound modules. do you think i should get an akai mpc?

I do not think that is necessary if you do the software route . You can get a MPD-16 if you want pads and use it to control your drums in your soft sampler or what ever .

You may want something like the Emu Proteus X . It is basically a software sound module that you can load tons and tons of libraries into . You would have to use a PC to use it though (but it comes with a soundcard) .

I like the software route .

Back