Exclusive Beats/Split sheets

wavygrvy

If I sell a beat and the artist makes a hit off it, how do we negotiate what I am supposed to be paid? Should I include my real name and PRO ID# or whatever you need to fill out a split sheet, in my exclusive rights license contract? also an explanation like oh if this song were to get big i want 5% or whatever it may be? How does getting credited/paid legitely work? I know you are supposed to take an advance in the beginning but I am confused about what comes after that

Technically speaking, the copyright of the music will always be yours, and the copyright of the lyrics will be the artists. So if they were to make a hit, it would be split evenly 50/50 by default, unless you specified other terms in a split sheet.

That would be the same for 3 writers, 4 writers etc (33/25/etc).

Yes, you should include your real name, I don't see how you could make a contract without one.

As far as PRO information, the key would be to register the song when it's finished with your PRO so that they know you are credited on it. It's their job to make sure you get paid from plays.
Most TV/film stuff won't place anything without it, so it wouldn't hurt to include it in there (it's usually just your name, affiliation and IP# tho, no ones ever asked for your actual PRO ID for me), on the off chance the artist actually knows what they are doing lol.

Last edited:
Do you mean the publishing will be 50/50? The copyright of the instrumental remains mine 100%. I am planning on selling beats on myflashstore so I wont be actually writing these songs with them and I dont get how the artist is supposed to know how to add me on the split sheet, do I put my info in my contract like my PRO ID # so that when they buy an exclusive beat license i am covered as far as what I can do, obviously telling them as well.

Technically speaking, the copyright of the music will always be yours, and the copyright of the lyrics will be the artists. So if they were to make a hit, it would be split evenly 50/50 by default, unless you specified other terms in a split sheet.

That would be the same for 3 writers, 4 writers etc (33/25/etc).

Yes, you should include your real name, I don't see how you could make a contract without one.

As far as PRO information, the key would be to register the song when it's finished with your PRO so that they know you are credited on it. It's their job to make sure you get paid from plays.
Most TV/film stuff won't place anything without it, so it wouldn't hurt to include it in there (it's usually just your name, affiliation and IP# tho, no ones ever asked for your actual PRO ID for me), on the off chance the artist actually knows what they are doing lol.

So once you let someone rap/sing on the beat (I'm assuming you're not allowing people to just re-sell the beat by itself), there is no longer "the copyright of the instrumental remains mine 100%" because the work is not longer the instrumental, it is a joint work. Joint works are covered by copyright law in the way I explained above, where even without a contract or split sheet, you would share in the copyright at a 50/50 split (but notably decreasing to 33/25 by default as other rappers/singers are added).

This is a quick link explaining some of what I mean: Joint Works | Keep Your Copyrights | Columbia Law School

So basically, unless you plan on amending the default copyright ownerships on joint works, you don't really have to do a split sheet, but it looks like myflashstore does allow custom contracts, so it looks like you could if you wanted to.

If all you're worried about is the artist having a big hit, I wouldn't, a major radio hit has a big paper trail that's easy to follow and go after for your money if they don't cut you in like they're supposed to.

Do you mean the publishing will be 50/50? The copyright of the instrumental remains mine 100%. I am planning on selling beats on myflashstore so I wont be actually writing these songs with them and I dont get how the artist is supposed to know how to add me on the split sheet, do I put my info in my contract like my PRO ID # so that when they buy an exclusive beat license i am covered as far as what I can do, obviously telling them as well.

Can anyone help me out? Does the artist just email me with the split sheet info when i sell an exclusive beat or what?

Cannibalmusic helped you out tremendously. As far as I'm concerned, you should've planned ahead and gotten the paperwork done prior to giving the beat away. Only way now is to prove the beat is yours in court.

Um what are you talking about? i didnt give a beat away

Cannibalmusic helped you out tremendously. As far as I'm concerned, you should've planned ahead and gotten the paperwork done prior to giving the beat away. Only way now is to prove the beat is yours in court.

Back