Equipment Question

JMD_Music

Just hoping I could get some quick advice.

I already own an Akai MPK49, and was planning on getting a digital piano because I wanted to learn the piano and needed something with 88 keys to practice on. Is it better to just get rid of the Akai I have and get an 88 key Digital Piano that is also a midi keyboard?

If so, any suggestions? Space isn't really an issue in terms of getting something with 88 keys. As far as budget, I'd say $800 is my max, but I was hoping to get something a little cheaper if possible.

Is your goal in learning the piano to be able to better make electronic music? Or to actually play the piano as an instrument?

If you just want to learn to make better electronic tracks, your current keyboard is probably fine.

If you want to learn piano, you'll want something that, at a minimum, has velocity-sensitive keys and can use a sustain pedal. Graded, weighted keys are a plus. Realistic feeling touch is a plus. Good piano sound engine is a plus.

I have an 88-key graded, weighted midi controller. It was cheap because it is dumb: no brain, no sound engine, no speakers. It literally just sends midi to my computer, where I use virtual instruments in a DAW.

Of course, if I wanted to spend 20 minutes a day practicing classical piano instruction, I might prefer to use a keyboard that didn't require a computer, DAW, and studio monitors to play.

I just want to make better tracks, and I also want to learn the piano by ear.

I have my first piano lesson this week.

Piano lessons likely won't teach you to play by ear. My piano lessons tried to teach that out of me.

If I were literally taking piano lessons again, I would appreciate an 88-key digital piano. The simplicity and function is great. Do some Googling on what is best in your price range. You want something that sounds good and has good touch. You don't need 600 instruments, 100 beats, or any kind of arrangement functionality. Just good piano sound played from good feeling piano keys.

For making tracks, I only use virtual instruments. You're paying for your synths and sounds one way or another, whether it is in an expensive piece of software or an expensive keyboard. But software gets updates, new versions, patches, expansion patches, etc. Not to mention, a computer has a lot more hard drive storage, more RAM, and a much more powerful processor to create better sounds.

If I were you, if your current keyboard is expensive, I'd sell it, buy virtual instruments, and buy a big, dumb midi controller.

You can try to combine the two for piano lessons and electronic production. Get something with 88 keys and midi out.

I've already settled onto a digital piano and I'll get it either this or next week.

And I've found a couple of piano teachers that teach you how to play by ear.

Back