Emu Mp-7 Vs. Px-7 Command Station

Supremacy

I had an EMU MP-7 Command Station for about 4-5 years...It got old and broke on me :( ...Now I'm thinking about getting an mpc 1000 because I really like the idea of sampling especially when it comes to just taking certain sounds and drums,etc.I've seen on here in older posts how people use their mpc 1000 with an MP-7 and I got excited!Now I don't want to get the MP-7 anymore, but I want to try out the PX-7.I've read some good reviews about the PX-7 but guess what?I CAN'T FIND IT FOR SALE ANYWHERE!!!So I have 2 questions:

1.What sounds do you like better, PX-7 or the MP-7?(The only difference between the two are the sounds as far as I've seen/read)

2.Where can I buy the PX-7?

Extra Question!!!

3.Why did EMU stop the production of the command stations?People loved them!

ONE MORE!

4.Did EMU come out with an explanation of why they stopped the production of the command stations?Those were getting very popular and RZA even was featured on an ad with the MP-7!

Anyone?

Last edited:
1. The PX-7 is has mostly drum sounds with some basic other instruments. The MP-7 has an "urban music production kit" soundset.

2. You need to watch eBay. they come up from time to time.

3. They didn't sell very well initially, and people were pissed that sampling wasn't included.

I still have my MP-7 and it is the one piece of gear that if anything i will more than likely keep. If it had sampling, and more midi tracks, midi ports, and a few other things, I wouldn't have a MPC right now.

dansgold said:
1. The PX-7 is has mostly drum sounds with some basic other instruments. The MP-7 has an "urban music production kit" soundset.

2. You need to watch eBay. they come up from time to time.

3. They didn't sell very well initially, and people were pissed that sampling wasn't included.

Okay that's koo.Well I guess it would be better for me to get the mp7 again and just get the px7 rom huh?Them roms are just so expensive it doesn't make any sense!The cost more than the damn command stations,lol!See I was gonna use one with an mpc because I love the sounds from the mp7 so I assumed the px7 sounds must be good too.If anyone ever sees some roms and some mp7's or px7's for sale, give me a holla please!

Last edited:
Consider that the Proteus VX VST is now available FREE and that you can buy the Protean Drums (PX-7) sample set for something like $50 from Emu ... use the MP-7 to control/trigger Proteus, and you've got the same thing in a lot of ways.

Use the mp-7 to controll/trigger proteus?How's that?Are you talking about loading the proteus vx vst to a sequence program like FL/REASON and using the mp-7 as a midi controller?AHA!I can get the mp-7(mophatt) and the px-7(proteus) vsts and use them on FL/REASON and I can still get my mpc1000 and get a keyboard midi controller and connect the keyboard and the mpc to my pc!?!?

dansgold said:
Consider that the Proteus VX VST is now available FREE and that you can buy the Protean Drums (PX-7) sample set for something like $50 from Emu ... use the MP-7 to control/trigger Proteus, and you've got the same thing in a lot of ways.
took the words right off of my keyboard!

Supremacy said:
Use the mp-7 to controll/trigger proteus?How's that?Are you talking about loading the proteus vx vst to a sequence program like FL/REASON and using the mp-7 as a midi controller?AHA!I can get the mp-7(mophatt) and the px-7(proteus) vsts and use them on FL/REASON and I can still get my mpc1000 and get a keyboard midi controller and connect the keyboard and the mpc to my pc!?!?
you can't load any 3rd party plugins in Reason, so forget that. you can actually use the plugin stand alone, it's not imperitive that you load it in a sequencer. infact, it's actually easier to use it stand alone if your sequencing it with a command station, loading the plugin in a soft sequencer requires that you create and route a bunch of midi tracks to accept the incoming midi on diff channels for the diff instruments you select in Proteus. you can also get Emulator X, the sampling version of Proteus, and the great thing about those 2, is they intergrate perfectly with the command station. the 16 knobs on the Command Station correspond to the 16 knobs in Proteus/Emulator (you may have to assign the numbers in the command station tho, takes all of 2 min). finally, MIDI, read up on it and get familiar. it's an old simple protocol which when understood, can do great things. i got an MP-7 like a month or so ago and a week later they released ProteusVX, perfect! also as far as sampling, i use Live 7, but everything is controlled/sequenced on the MP-7. i have a template i made, so when i open Live, i can play a record, tap the pads on the MP-7 and it'll record/sample in Live, and i can sequence those samples in the command station and everything follows suit in Live. the sht is nice, who needs a real sampler when there's Live and MIDI! hit me up if you have questions, i'll be glad to help.
LevLove

Last edited:
Back