Drop college for music

lit_boi_eld

I really want to pursue a career in music.
I hate my college n the current course im studying.It was not my decesion but my parents.Should I drop college n concentrate on music ?

The music business plays no games with anyone and is a who rides a trend wave best game of chance and is a risk averse biz. Music will always remain while college, if you care to graduate at the usual age limit, won't. What are you studying?

Do yourself a huge favor and focus strictly on working on your craft as the era of posting on every social media site ever created and hoping for views/likes/subscribes/plays is gone and the people paying for promo are those who either already come from "deep pockets" or are years into the business (e.g. Jay-Z, Taylor Swift etc) and by all means focus on your education and if it isn't too late switch to another major that isn't music related and try to land a full time job as music has always paid a select few: the 1%.

Last edited:
^ ya, i did both. Find something you really want to study. The early GE classes (general education) suck, but once you get to the specialized courses in what you want to study, it's cooler. Those come in your 3rd/4th year. ...but ya, pick a field that interests you, and you can come to like it.

Also don't half-ass college, ...because then its a waste of time and a waste of money. Go into it with everything you have. Go to all the networking events, etc. It can open up opportunities that nothing else can.

...but ultimately, it's up to you. I know a lot of very very great producers that hold master degrees, and I know a lot really great producers that barely graduated high school. To each their own.

Last edited:
Go into it with everything you have. Go to all the networking events, etc. It can open up opportunities that nothing else can.
2nd that ^^ I have a producer friend that's in college. While he felt like it was a waste at one point, he's met other artist and musicians which led to other opportunities. Right now he's interning at a studio just by coming across someone who knew someone that liked his work. He engineered and DJ's also so he went all out leaving no stone unturned.

By going all in, he's at point now that he's taking a semester off to see how the music goes now that he has built those bridges.

Last edited:
^Yup, I'd at least look at it as a networking opportunity if nothing else.

The harsh truth is that probably one out of thousand people who think "music is their passion" will actually make a career out of it. Drop out if you're already taking off, don't do so because you think you will.

I would say finish college and find a degree applicable to the type of music career you want to persue. It can't hurt you. Study music tech's and practice while you are earning your degree. I wish i had finished college tbh m8

I'm just going to take the opposite angle as you've got sound advice for staying in college and the benefits of it.

How bad do you want this? Do you have support for when you're struggling early and nobody knows your name? If you want this, and I mean want it, then dedicate every waking hour to it and fuck college and the mountain of debt that comes with it. I dropped out of college for completely different reasons (raging drunk, sober now) and have worked in a few industries, currently sales, and it is soul crushing not doing what I want to do. If I could go back and actually study something that was of interest I would, as Epsilon says, go all the fuck in. Meet everyone you can and really learn.

Life advice is a funny thing, you're the only one who has the answer. My final thought to ponder is this - what is more important, making the right decision or making the decision right?

Collage is a great place to meet people. Meet people and do well in class and you will be able to do what ever you want after that

dont go balls deep bro. its pretty risky, first end your college stuff after ending it you still can fuse work with your "hobby" if you get what i mean. :)

if your in your first year, then just take the basic classes first. Shouldnt take that much of your time. Or take 1 or 2 easy classes a semester and go slow. You should have plenty of time to work on music. Also, I would say take a major that you actually like. Maybe even a major related to music.

More than likely you have spare time even with school that you could maybe use more wisely. If you really want it, put that extra time that goes into parties, etc and put it into music.

Right now the money I make from finishing college and getting my degree, helps A LOT with making music, and doing the things I want to do in music

Back