Does It Have To Be Complex To Be Good?

No.

That Mesto stuff looks a bit busy, but if you put every little sound on their own tracks, even really simple stuff will look "complex".

Only if an artist is interested in musical masturbation does a song have to be complex to be good.

Music is personal taste so the answer would be no.
This would typically only matter to other producers in general as well.

Makes absolutely no difference, some of my most popular tracks are little things I've thrown out in a couple of hours. Most look visually horrendous and overly complex when in reality, I've not even had time to feel that loss of control that makes you begin the organisation stage of your project. Then other times I can spend months on a porject, amalgamating tracks, colour and naming, grouping plugins etc and in the end, they look more simple but actually they're far more complex. A crowded tune is far worse than an empty one. Don't worry too much and trust your ears, they'll tell you if there's a problem.

This idea is key to almost all my music making.
Simple music is called 'minimalism' and it tends to be largely based around loops and repetition. Complex music is called 'maximalism' and involves avoiding repetition as much as possible.

You can sub-divide music writing into different parts and make each of them minimal/maximal. e.g.:
- Minimal/maximal drumming patterns (simple 4 to the floor or similar with no fills vs intricate breakbeats with many variations and fills, Aphex Twin Style)
- Minimal/ maximal arrangements (Only 1 or two instruments vs lots of instruments at the same time)
- Minimal/ maximal sound design (Basic subtractive synthesis with no processing vs crazy stuff)
- Minimal/ maximal chords (a few triads on a loop vs 32 bar chord sequences with jazz extensions and lots of key changes)
- and so on...

The key point I find is most people can't take too much maximalism, it gets too hard to hear what's going on. So if you're going to use really complex harmonies and rhythms, like a jazz piece, you have to strip the arrangement back to only two or three instruments otherwise people can't hear what's going on, and not do any complex sound design.

I personally quite like really minimal music (every aspect as simple as possible, like minilogue's music) but a lot of people find it boring... to be a crowd pleaser you need the right balance

Back