Does giving away free beats really help you?

superegobeats

Producer/Emcee
For all the producers who give away their beats to develop exposure, does it help you sell more beats?

Been battling with this very subject for quite a while now... On one hand, it's logical that free beats equals more exposure, but then on the other, it attracts the broke rappers who wouldn't buy your beats in the first place...

:hello:

It definitely can help, with anything free though you have to take the bad with the good. You will always get people who try and get everything for free or will only ever come to your site for free stuff. What I do though as part of my way of collecting emails is they have to sign up in order to get the free beats which means I can then market & promote to them via my email list. Some people just need that head start and will eventually buy but not everyone will. Another reason giving some free beats away id good because if they give you credit and you google prod by YOUR NAME you will see all the tracks made with your beats and other people will be seeing your name too on those tracks.

It helps, but the point in my opinion, is to give it to people that can actually get you exposure and not random people. Find artists you believe in and get to work!

It really depends on who you're giving your beats to. I would be weary of making my beats available to literally anybody. Try to find artists that you see potential in, and build with them; that's one way. Giving anyway free beats doesn't always equal exposure.

Last edited:
For all the producers who give away their beats to develop exposure, does it help you sell more beats?

Been battling with this very subject for quite a while now... On one hand, it's logical that free beats equals more exposure, but then on the other, it attracts the broke rappers who wouldn't buy your beats in the first place...

:hello:

Yes. Actually, you need to also be giving away the multitracks in wav. format to your beats. This way, people can create their own custom mixes to your songs. They can then give you a shout out.

It's "who" you give your beats to for free that matters, people who can give you that much needed exposure and actually/rap/sing good enough or have a good following. Otherwise i would say no because a lot of upcoming artists aren't worth it.

The free beat debate is a hot topic, but this is my take on it. A video I saw by Johnny Juliano (I think it was him) said it best. As an artist, you are putting your time and creativity into your work. By just handing it out for free to anyone, you are basically saying that your time isn't worth anything. It's one thing to find an artist that has potential and that can give your work a good name, but throwing your shit out for anyone with a mic to get on, just to get exposure, could be more harmful than helpful. If someone gets on a track that can't rap or sing, it doesn't matter how good the beat is, no one is going to stick around to listen.

The other problem is under cutting. If this keeps up with all of the people out there making music nowadays, eventually up and coming rappers are all going to expect to just be handed beats left and right. If someone who wants to spit about how they have bread refuses to pay a $20 lease, they shouldn't be getting exposure anyway. What it also does is take away business from the people who actually make a living off of their music.

Your music is worth something, and you're much better off making that clear from the start. If you give out tracks to anyone who wants them, they'll just move on to the next one when you try to make them pay. Even someone working at McDonald's can afford $20 for a lease if they really want it...if your music is hot and they won't pay, there are plenty who will.

Last edited:
I still think the personal route works a little better than internet.

Internet is saturated w/ free beats.

If you're gonna give free beats, I'd do it on a face to face level.

It can help you depending on who you give the beats too.. If you give it to a person who has no fan base, just raps for fun or with friends cuz it's kool or doesnt promote it.. It's a waste if you give it to a up coming rapper who promotes their music put your tag in it.. Promotes you etc.. It can help that will bring a long buyers if the song/beat is good

Back