Do you like the old school production style or the new?

Sampling and turntablism will always sound best to my ears. It's what I grew up on and it is what hip hop has always been based on.

I like the new stuff. The old stuff is old because people sample the same 100 records over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

I enjoy both. I don't see them as in a competition. They both are different, different styles. Would be like comparing grapes with nuts. They have their inconvenients and advantages. I tend to alternate between both.

I think if you are a true Music Head that you will appreciate all of it even if you dont care for a genre because art is art. But I def think that age has alot to do with answering that question. After a certain age fruity loops dont sound that good. To space ship- futuristic but the younger people love it. I make it cause they love it but I dont like it. I appreciate the art but hate the sounds.

Me being " olds school" I prefer the old hip hop, sampled, and just basic 808 constructions. Bass works, it transcends any generation. We all have it in common. Its the other sounds that separate generations....So Ill stick to the universal simple sounds...

Last edited:
a lot of old school beats are simple and too open for my liking.. their good after a listen or 2 but eventually get boring because the simplicity

Far to much Cookie Cutter type shit out these days. Growing up in the golden age of where it all started, i find the sound of the mid to late 90's is what i really favor but i still like some of the modern production to, it just depends.

I'm gonna have to say new.

Makes 0 sense to me to be sided with a genre of music that's simply outdated, when in reality, new music takes ALL of what was done in the past and incorporates it.

With the emergence of Euro-Dance music/EDM etc etc ... hip hop producers are taking note and really going crazy in terms of creativity. I'm glad Rap is shying away from sampling to be quite honest. That's not to try and downplay ANY of the hip hop classics we're all fond of, i'm just saying it's a new day and time.

I look up most to producers like J.U.S.T.I.C.E league who incorporate all of it. I mean they literally sampled themselves in "Hip Hop" by Nas/Scarface and that track is classic!!

Sampling because the arrangements are more appealing and ofter more variety than someone using the same chords over and over. There's no need to reinvent the wheel for me.Hip Hop will always be about great lyrics and good beats. Rock Musicians today still play instruments like they did in the past. I personally just think samples complement the lyrics so much better because the talent level of the musicians sampled. It sounds so much better than me with some amateurish bland two chord melody. If someone with a different definition of melody& rhythm wants to create a new sound, hey go for it. Music should be expressed by individualism anyway. I could never in my wildest dreams come up with an arrangement like this without sampling:

Sampling with the SP303 He was on his Kanye West 3 beats a day for the summer grind:

Last edited:
I'm for sampling and live instruments when used and played skillfully. FL is for the kids, teens and post-adolescents who don't care to know what real music sounds like.

Last edited:
Another reason I prefer sampling is the the endless chopping abilities:

Those drums!!

Last edited:
Back