Do rappers pay studio time just for recording vocals ?

O

OliverPractice

So would making a mixtape the expendure for the actual music be

1) paying the producer to make the beats and mastering / mixing

2) renting the studio to record your vocals over it

maybe rent 1-2 hours for 7-8 days in a row and it's all done.

I don't know much bout the recording process so I wanna ask you how it's done

It could be one or more of a few things. Most recording studios provide the following services: Songwriting, music production, guidance, recording, mixing, tracking, mastering, uploading/burning song to cd, & advice on marketing.

1. Paying for Everything!
Songwriting, music production, guidance, recording, mixing, tracking, mastering, uploading/burning song to cd & advice on marketing.

2. They may have a beat and wrote to it and only need services from
recording, mixing, tracking, mastering, uploading/burning song to cd & advice on marketing.

3. They may have recorded their vocals on the beat and only need services from
mixing, tracking, mastering, uploading/burning song to cd & advice on marketing.

Well, I think you get the picture. The more services you're able to provide, the better off your recording studio will be.

really depends how you want to make a deal with them. They may have someone to engineer them so then you charge them to rent the equipment. If they need beats you show them what your studio has to offer let them decide if they want to make a record for it. Make sure they pay UP FRONT none of that I got you when we make it lmaooo doesnt work!! Charge them what you think is appropriate if they have potential give them package deals for promoting your studio/production in return. If they are serious they will pay what it costs to be the boss lol

most ppl who make mixtapes do this
1.buy beats for their mixtape
2.write songs to the beat(s)
3.practice
4.go to the studio
a.bring track-outs or session file
b.only have 2-track(s) or mp3(s) of the beats

5.record vocals on the beats

6.get track-out/stems or session file

7.either have the song mixed there
or send their track-outs or session file
to a independent mix engineer

8. Mix engineer sends you a final mix of the songs

9.You send all the songs that are mix
to a master engineer
a.the level all the songs so they are on the same sound level(not one track superloud and another very quiet)
b.does discrete eq,compression,etc as needed
c.encoding/dither,etc....redbook for CD reproduction this skipped as most mixtapes are sold digitally)

there alot of steps some can be combined
a seasoned producer or audio engineer should be able to walk you through the steps need to accomplish your goals

-Coach Antonio

most ppl who make mixtapes do this
1.buy beats for their mixtape
2.write songs to the beat(s)
3.practice
4.go to the studio
a.bring track-outs or session file
b.only have 2-track(s) or mp3(s) of the beats

5.record vocals on the beats

6.get track-out/stems or session file

7.either have the song mixed there
or send their track-outs or session file
to a independent mix engineer

8. Mix engineer sends you a final mix of the songs

9.You send all the songs that are mix
to a master engineer
a.the level all the songs so they are on the same sound level(not one track superloud and another very quiet)
b.does discrete eq,compression,etc as needed
c.encoding/dither,etc....redbook for CD reproduction this skipped as most mixtapes are sold digitally)

there alot of steps some can be combined
a seasoned producer or audio engineer should be able to walk you through the steps need to accomplish your goals

-Coach Antonio

Exactly what I was looking for and more.

To the first two guys you got it a little twisted I'm not the one with the studio but want to go to a studio in the future to record a mixtape, still thanks for the input.

I heard from a local band recording their LP costed about 8000 $ and mind you that is almost an average yearly salary of somebody in this country with a good job. They didn't pay it but won a contest to record a LP. I'm thinking they did everything in the studio like create the songs and not just record, also they are a band and so have to record bass/guitar and drums along with vocals.

So I was thinking bout having everything ready and just going to a nice studio to just lay down the vocals. So basicaly I can pay just to rent the studio for 2 hours at a time to do 1 song for a few weeks in a row. Multiple songs in a day my voice could sound tired.

Good it's a mixtape that's also part of the learning process.

So can one rent a studio for recording for 2 hour sessions ?

Last edited by a moderator:
so your the rapper??? well its obvious we spoke on the perspective of people who actually sells studio time :D everything is a charge!! Some studios dont offer that of course they dont want some idiots touching their boards and not know what their doing. For the most part they will provide you with an engineer which is including the price. 8k for an LP that sounds like a 40-60 dollar an hour studio, which means it MUST be a really nice studio. Yea you should only get in the studio once your absolutely sure your ready to record so you dont waste anyones time. Good luck!

Thank you. And yeah it's the studio of a major act round here and especialy taking into consideration the lower life standard here then in the USA. However who knows maybe they composed the tracks in the studio maybe it wasn't even jsut recording then, again I don't know.

As a rapper I try and maximize my time to the fullest. I purchase a beat first. Once I get the beat i'll listen to it for a while to see what direction I wanna go. After that I write. Whenever I write a song I will not stop until the song is finished. I'll take the track to my studio and bang it out, and have it mixed down. This takes me a few days tops. For example if I get the beat on Friday, Monday im recording. Gives me enough time to practice so I can go in a record with minimum takes. You gotta be careful because time is money and if you have a good engineer you need to make sure your prepared on your end. www.vickbenoit.com https://soundcloud.com/vick_benoit https://twitter.com/vick_benoit

it's cost more to record a band and more time usually
you could for sure cut that in half
maybe $1000.00 just to record
but you have to call them for their hourly rates
and base it off that

-Coach Antonio

Back