Do people who know sheet music know notes by ear too?

KonKossKang

Ozagas
I'm curious.If you know sheet music, and the notes on the grid...do you automatically know how the melody will play out?Trying to get better at both and would like to know if it'd make sense learning either on e further since i want to be able to lay out melodies in realtime(yes i know it will be tons of practice but i want the payoff)

Best method for improving ear and (notation) reading skills is to improve overall musicianship. What instruments do you play?

Learning to read music does not necessarily train the ear and although the two are usually learned simultaneously, they are very different skills. If anything I've found guys that couldn't read music at all, often have a much better trained ear because they have to rely on them more (frequently learning things by ear, etc.).

Playing lots of scales and chord progressions helps with ear training because it helps you 'predict' subsequent notes or hear musical phrases rather than individual notes. For reading pretty much the only method is to practice reading new material daily (or regularly). Also depends a bit on the instrument you play. I found my ear improved a lot when I started exploring other instruments (primarily a guitarist) and my understanding (and ability to read) rhythm improved drastically when I started learning to play the drums a bit.

No. I don't know all my "notes" by ear, but I can read really well, (though my sight-reading abilities are WAAYY off right now)
I still ear train my intervals, but its slow-going. I learn how to sight sing, so I can loo,at a piece of music (without many crazy accidentals) and sing it somewhat okay.
When I was in school, they put alot of emphasis on sight-singing and it is a very important skill to have. I notice horn players tend to have this skill down cold.

The way I learned it was through "moveable do" solfege syllables. I learned to sing the chromatic scale and then apply it to the melody line of a tune. Not as good at it as I want/need to be, but I still practice it. This will make learning tunes in a combo setting really fast.

Last edited:
Not sure if these even count as instruments lol but this is what i use:

maudio keystation 88, korgpadkontrol, akai mpd18 and a mouse/computer keyboard.I learned all the "musical sounding" notes by ear but i can't do them fast.
if i tried to play out a melody in my head it would be at best, 20bpm if i didnt practice the found notes beforehand.i learned sheet music a while ago and did the ear thing 3 months ago which helped quite a bit.but now im trying to make it so that i can do a melody realtime without the "find the notes and practice them beforehand for 20-30 minutes" like i usually do.

looks like there's only one option lef(tried to avoid the hard way)

Last edited:
get yourself a book on sight-singing and work your way through it it is the only way to become competent at doing this

If anything I've found guys that couldn't read music at all, often have a much better trained ear because they have to rely on them more (frequently learning things by ear, etc.).

I know those of us who have a natural ear for music often have a tendency to neglect reading music....it can be a little difficult to learn to read when you can just cheat.

I know those of us who have a natural ear for music often have a tendency to neglect reading music....it can be a little difficult to learn to read when you can just cheat.
Using your ears isn't cheating. Using your ears is the whole point.
Reading is for those situations where you don't have an audible reference, but need to play right away. For instance, a bandleader hands you a chart for a tune you're unfamiliar with.

Last edited:
Using your ears isn't cheating. Using your ears is the whole point.
Reading is for those situations where you don't have an audible reference, but need to play right away. For instance, a bandleader hands you a chart for a tune you're unfamiliar with.

What I am saying is those of us who can play by ear don't rely on written instructions on where to put our fingers so we tend to lean more on our natural ability when we should be focusing on reading.

so sight reading is just both ear/note training rolled up into one.That's why i kept messing up i learned them separately :/Yep gonna have to practice note attack and tonepitch 24/7

Back