Do most famous rap/hiphop producers only know major and minor chords?

Picassoo

Right now, im trying to learn how to play the piano online. Im just curious if most producers who DO know how to play the piano in the rap/hiphop scene, do they usually use more major/minor chords? Or do they usually play all types of chords from chromatic, jazzy, etc? Also, whats a good free website to learn piano? Im trying to learn piano from this guy name Lypur but it seems his teaching doesnt help me that much. You guys know any other free sites or tutorials to learn piano? Or do you think its better off the learn major and minor chords really for the rap/hiphop scene.

sometimes they don't even use chords. but for hip hop it's mostly minor sounding, 7th and 9th chords are heard more in r&B, and major seems to be used more for pop records. Most songs that use chords will have a combination of both major and minor chords in the progression.

I wouldn't even think about this question to be honest. Use whatever sounds good for your piece, and learn them all so you have them whenever you need them.

What don't you like about lypurs videos? I am doing the same series and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, besides for the fact he's an awkward goof, but whatever.

If your on the lesson with chromatic scales, you have barely even got into it yet..Thats like the 9ths lesson and half of the lessons before that are all basic music theory..I hope you aren't judging it based on everything upto the chromatic scales lesson. Because he hasn't even started teaching piano at that point, he is building a foundation. But again, why don't you like it?

Last edited:
I wouldn't even think about this question to be honest. Use whatever sounds good for your piece, and learn them all so you have them whenever you need them.

What don't you like about lypurs videos? I am doing the same series and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, besides for the fact he's an awkward goof, but whatever.

If your on the lesson with chromatic scales, you have barely even got into it yet..Thats like the 9ths lesson and half of the lessons before that are all basic music theory..I hope you aren't judging it based on everything upto the chromatic scales lesson. Because he hasn't even started teaching piano at that point, he is building a foundation. But again, why don't you like it?

lol im also learning from Lypur as well.

But, he is kinda weird tbh.... and his voice is too soft compared to his intro music and piano playing.

Seriously, I turn up the volume near max just to hear him talk, and then he starts playing his piano and its way too loud.

Right now, im trying to learn how to play the piano online. Im just curious if most producers who DO know how to play the piano in the rap/hiphop scene, do they usually use more major/minor chords? Or do they usually play all types of chords from chromatic, jazzy, etc? Also, whats a good free website to learn piano? Im trying to learn piano from this guy name Lypur but it seems his teaching doesnt help me that much. You guys know any other free sites or tutorials to learn piano? Or do you think its better off the learn major and minor chords really for the rap/hiphop scene.

Strangely I think that you will find that most producers know some chords and probably know more than we give them credit for

As for which chords they are more likely to use it is a hit and miss affair without a broad sampling of the genre: my guess would be that both major and minor chords will be of about equal use. As to which tonality (which is what I think the question really is) most likely minor based on recent developments but overall again a balance of both major and minor.

As for learning piano, if the guy is not communicating to you have you thought that perhaps you are not trying to be communicated to? I.E. you are not open to his ideas and so are blocking your understanding at a visceral level.....

I think that you might also be confusing learning an instrument with learning a style of music - they are not necessarily the same focus, as learning an instrument to begin with would be about learning where fingers are meant to go and how to sit correctly whilst playing,. Learning tunes initially will be about reinforcing these ideas rather than pursuing your dreams of playing rap/hip hop/r&B.

revisit Lypur and see if these ideas help you to move through your personal block to his teaching

lol im also learning from Lypur as well.

But, he is kinda weird tbh.... and his voice is too soft compared to his intro music and piano playing.

Seriously, I turn up the volume near max just to hear him talk, and then he starts playing his piano and its way too loud.

Thats just the quality of sound, he addresses it in the first video that he didnt know how to use his new equipment, thats why. All I do is turn it up to begin then turn it down once it zooms into the piano and gets louder. You only have to do it 2-3 times per 20 minute video.
many very famous producers don't know any chords (eg. Pharrell, Primo)
Haha try telling pharrell he doesn't understand chords

Back