Do I need a soundcard?

NoMirrors

I'm buying an i7 16gb 1tb computer(used probably) and will be running ableton. Do I need or would it be a good idea to have a better sound card than the stock one it comes with? Appreciate it.

An audio card would be a good idea regardless.
extra in/outs and a dedicated sound output if you ever plan to use monitors and still have headphones connected at the same time.

This depends entirely on what you like. If you aren't interested in the ins/outs then a internal soundcard will be a better option for ya if you'd rather use that with the audio jack that's connected to the insides.

When you say ins/outs your talking about different USB slots right? If you are than I'm thinking I would only be using 2. One for the soundcard and the other for my interface. Thanks again

personally I would get a USB audio interface. mainly because you'll be able to easily control the volume(s) with knobs. and you can plug in mics / instruments etc.

Last edited:
You will not NEED to get anything, but a usb audio interface something like the Presonus Audio box or Presonus fire box is pretty common around here and good for under $100. I would stay away from those soundblaster ones like in the link you posted. Monitor speakers are pretty essential for mixing and the interface will allow you to hook them up if you decide to get them.

Thanks a lot. I was going to get an interface anyway and didn't know it included a soundcard, so I'm going to go that route. Appreciate it.

Depends on what you want to do.....I mean some Toucan Sam drawing notes into the Fruity Loops piano roll with the mouse ain't going to need zero latency monitoring and a decent mic input like someone recording vocals or a guitar in real time.

Back