Do I need an audio interface for sampled beats?

peshti

Maybe this is an dumb question but do I need an audio interface for sampled beats? Im not talking about recording vocals/instruments. I mean will it make My samples sound better and give My overall beat a better quality or whats the deal?

By the way im looking into getting a focusrite 2i2 gen. Any good?

Thanks

Edit - I just realized I've asked this before, not about focusrite, but everything else. However this was during a period when I was lost and everything was new, I'm still lost but not as lost, so any reminders would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
An interface is a dedicated audio device that is not necessary but recommended for lower latency audio input. [Usb mics exist for asio4all also]
Like midi/audio.

I use a steinberg interface myself but have used focusrite before, also a very good choice [most interfaces are good so brand doesn't matter much for those]
If you plan on hooking up midi equipment to play a usb piano or pads you'll probably want to look at an interface.

Also lower latency audio output - usually when your MIDI input device "has latency", it's more often the computer that's "slow" to output the audio when you hit a key rather than what's happening between your controller and the computer. So yeah, the interface has its uses even if you're not actually recording anything. It also provides better connectivity & a very slight improvement in your monitoring quality (even if it doesn't actually change the sound of your files on your computer).

How are you getting your samples into your computer ? If you are recording them off vinyl you'll need some way to get them in and an audio interface could help with. If you are e-digging or have the samples already on your computer you'll be able to get away without an interface.

Also what is your computer playing out to ? how do you hear the audio when it plays ? through a headphone jack ? pc speakers ?

Some people prefer to have an interface for the purpose of monitoring/listening to the audio.

Back