Difference between applying effect on return tracks and directly on audio tracks

M

mkamsi

Can anybody clear my doubt of difference between applying effect on return tracks and applying effect directly on audio/midi tracks?
I m using ableton live.
Thanx in advance :)

The difference is that insert effects are just inserted right after the instrument/audio in the channel, and mix the dry and wet signal, if you would put it 100% wet you would only hear the effect. If you send the signal to a return/send track, it's split the dry signal into the return/send channel separately where you usually set the effects to 100% wet and just mix as much as you want of it on top of the dry signal.

The beauty of return/send tracks is that it allows you to process the effects individually instead of the entire signal all together, which opens up a whole new world for effects.

Imagine you put a nice clean synth trough a send track, and add some delay to it (100% wet) and then a phaser after that, you would only have the phaser effect on the delay, not the actual synth itself. This is just one of endless ways you can do things.

Last edited:
The difference is that insert effects are just inserted right after the instrument/audio in the channel, and mix the dry and wet signal, if you would put it 100% wet you would only hear the effect. If you send the signal to a return/send track, it's split the dry signal into the return/send channel separately where you usually set the effects to 100% wet and just mix as much as you want of it on top of the dry signal.

The beauty of return/send tracks is that it allows you to process the effects individually instead of the entire signal all together, which opens up a whole new world for effects.

Imagine you put a nice clean synth trough a send track, and add some delay to it (100% wet) and then a phaser after that, you would only have the phaser effect on the delay, not the actual synth itself. This is just one of endless ways you can do things.

First of all, How are you bro? I m sorry, I am very busy in my studies, so I was not able to stay in touch/contact with you.

Now, talking about return tracks, Are you sure that the phaser will only effect the delayed part?
On the other side, the most of the plugins have dry/wet knob. with which we can mix the effected signal with original signal. So in this way, how a return track is making any difference ?

I'm all good! Life keeps going :-) and you?

If you put a delay on the return track, with the signal 100% wet, and put a phaser there as well, then yes, only the delay will have the phaser effect.

Well the difference is just that. If you put a bunch of effects on the same instrument/audio channel they are all going to affect the dry signal coming from the source. The return tracks do not do this, because the signal is split to the return track, leaving the signal from the instrument/audio track untouched.

So you have a whole separate track with just effects, so you can put effects on just the effects, and then mix it back on top of the dry signal.

I'm all good! Life keeps going :-) and you?

If you put a delay on the return track, with the signal 100% wet, and put a phaser there as well, then yes, only the delay will have the phaser effect.

Well the difference is just that. If you put a bunch of effects on the same instrument/audio channel they are all going to affect the dry signal coming from the source. The return tracks do not do this, because the signal is split to the return track, leaving the signal from the instrument/audio track untouched.

So you have a whole separate track with just effects, so you can put effects on just the effects, and then mix it back on top of the dry signal.

thanx a lot, you clear my doubts.
And I am good btw, just finishing up with my post-graduate studies.

Back