DAW Crackling on complex tracks

danny123

Hi all �� I was wondering if anyone can help me with the problem I am experiencing?

Ok, so I started music producing one week ago. All was going fine, untill I started to make a more complex sounding track. The track sound very busy and I think something is struggling with it!? I have no idea what it could be ��. I have an i3 and 8gb ram in my hp pavilion g series. Could it be because I dont have a audio interface/ pre amp?

Thank you for reading ��

When you mean crackling, is the crackling an audio crackle that is coming from the audio wires etc, or, is it the CPU being slow and not being able to handle it? What software are you using? I presume it is FL Studio by how you structured your post but I may be wrong? If it is FL Studio change the audio setting to ASIO driver which would decrease the use of your computers CPU. After that you have two or three choices. The first is decrease the instruments and plugins you are using, 2. Increase your computers tech specs, I.E HDD & Ram, and your third choice (because the pavilion g series is a laptop to me) is to change your computers power input settings. You do this by clicking on the battery icon and make sure your power setting are on high performance and not power saver. Hope this helps.

thank you for your quick response :)

the crackling seems to come from audio, because when i start task manager and bring up my CPU usage, the CPU only goes up to between 5-10%. and i am using cubase 5. i have ASIO4ALL and i still have the crackles. i was thinking that it could be because i dont have an audio interface?

Do you have any audio going in, through a microphone or audio input? Not saying that is where the crackle is coming from, but is the audio in running in the background while you are making the music?

Last edited:
If you keep having issues with crackling I would get an audio interface.

There's a ton to choose from. Personally I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Interface (only $129 on Amazon). There is practically zero staticy/popping sound when I use it. 2x XLR cables output to my studio monitors. It also has headphone monitoring and 2x inputs for a Guitar / Mic / Keyboard or whatever you want :victory:

p.s. if you do end up getting a Focusrite product, the drivers on their main website are rather dated, I would go to beta.focusrite.com for the most up to date drivers. just let me know if you need more info

Last edited:
Audio interfaces have different thresholds where they start to crackle.

2i2 and ur22 or presonus Vsl22 for example are great.
Then there's some that could probably do 64ms on a pentium 4.
ASIO4ALL or interface.

Ok thank you for your input �� I will definitely buy one next week :) I'm just hoping that its not my CPU or RAM is the problem. I wouldn't of thought so as I have an i3 and 8gb!

An i3?...hahahahahahaaha then worry about just an interface then lmfao I thought yo uwere talking about something like a pentium 4 man.

try turning your buffer size up, you might end up having to use a higher one - which will lead to having a pause each time you press play

but if your system can't run it then that's what will work for the meantime

Try changing the buffer size. when recording use a small buffer size so there is less latency, but while mixing or mastering, a large buffer size wont effect you and it will free up some CPU usage. Also try bouncing all your midi tracks after you are done mixing them.

Back