Dark bassline - how to make it?

TheK

I try to make some first beats. I have snares, kicks, hi-hats and stuff, but I cannot find something I think is called "bassline".
Could somebody tell me how it's exactly called and how and where I can find/make it? Thank you
(Yes, I used search option, but I hadn't found such simple questions :(; and I mean not some funky basslines, but darklike in example)

Example:
youtube . com/watch?v=XwGBvoYIV1Q (at the beginning)

Hi man !

Are you talking about the very first sound we can hear in your example ? Because if yes, it isn't a bassline, but a pad. It is actually really easy to create with only two oscillators in the VST of your choice ! :)

Hi man !

Are you talking about the very first sound we can hear in your example ? Because if yes, it isn't a bassline, but a pad. It is actually really easy to create with only two oscillators in the VST of your choice ! :)
I didn't listen to the sample (work's network) but sometimes a bassline isn't just two oscs playing together. There's much more involved to the sound design.

I didn't listen to the sample (work's network) but sometimes a bassline isn't just two oscs playing together. There's much more involved to the sound design.

As you say "sometimes". But in this precise case, the sound is pretty basic to create. But yeah, I totally agree :)

For me tho, the key of a great bassline sound is not to overcharge it with effects, distortion and so on as it is basically an already "heavy sound", it can easily go from efficient, down to rubber and weak sounding by losing all the relief you wanted to give to it.

Last edited:
A bassline can be made with anything. Sound design is sound design. The specifics however will narrow some things down.

Back